Notices

Want my freedom back

Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want my freedom back

I'm new here but also new to the fact of admitting that I have a problem with drinking. I always thought it was normal because you see everyone having drinks and a good time, and I also have always been under the impression that drinking is not really a problem unless your doing it everyday? But recently I have been completely unaware that I have been drinking that much , I'm stuck in a cycle .. I need a drink tell myself just a few then before I know it I'm buying more , wake up the next day hungover and feeling ashamed and failure then tell myself I'm never drinking again! Go a few days then drinking again ! I think it started off as fun but I'm 30 yrs old now and I feel like its a problem, I know it is because I'm currently on anti-depressants and I still drink on top of the meds . I'm tired of it controlling my life I just don't know how to beat it
Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have taken the positive first step by admitting you have a problem. Willpower and support are two important factors in sobriety. You have accomplished both - your willingness to stop and joining SR. Welcome Aboard!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through that cycle for many years. I finally came to the conclusion, after it progressed so far that I was drinking every day, that I simply can not drink.
Moderation or fun or hanging out with those who drink was no longer an option for me.

Alcoholism is progressive, so it's good that you realize you may have a problem.
What works for me, is thinking that first drink through to the end and the misery drinking more will bring.

Welcome to the boards here. You'll find lots of support, so post as often as you like.

Best to you.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have you considered going to AA? Lots of help in those rooms. There are other ways to stay sober. I go to a counselor and come to this site every day. It helps me stay sober.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome cleospinz. It's so good to have you join us.

I drank all my life - I didn't admit what it was doing to me at a young age, like you are. It did terrible damage to my life and health - and in the end I was trapped in an awful lifestyle. This won't be you. You want your freedom back, and you can achieve that! Keep posting - you are not alone with this.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it takes one day at a time and it gets easier every day that passes by just hang in there
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much!! I have hope but I have quit several times and always break those promises of never drinking again :/ I try to tell myself it's only beer it's not like its bottles but I'm starting to see what just beer does , thanks again you guys are awesome!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cleospinz

I'm a former beer drinker - believe me you can do every bit as much damage on that as you can on spirits.

You're making a great decision - glad you've joined us

D
Old 05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cleospinz30: everything you wrote is like about me! Except I am 34. I just got here today--on the forum. My first forum. I also want to be free & I want to be able to talk to people without having to have a drink. I am absolutely unable to do it sober.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!!! And I know how you feel trust me im in a full blown out battle and don't know where to start