Notices

Eating something really does help

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Eating something really does help

I haven't been eating much lately because I'm broke/on a diet and yesterday, day 50, I started having my strongest cravings yet. I worked my program to combat these feelings but still I kept obsessing over the thought of a drink.

I realised that these feelings were correlating with my low blood sugar. I felt dizzy, my stomach was growling and I started fantasizing about what I would buy first if I had any money. Bacon or a drink?

Well I just got home from a meeting, found some lentils in my cupboard, cooked those up and ate them. I already feel much better. I know a lot of us are familiar with H.A.L.T. (when you get a craving, think about whether you're Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) but I don't think I realised just how much of a trigger hunger/low blood sugar is for me.

And I know I'm feeling better because I now know that if I had some money, I would definitely spend it on bacon and not a drink.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
And I know I'm feeling better because I now know that if I had some money, I would definitely spend it on bacon and not a drink.
Now I want some bacon!

I get this too on the weekends. Sometimes I go all day and don't eat. I start to feel worn down and tired. Thank goodness for cookies at meetings. I eat a couple and I feel better.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Yes, the free tea and cookies is one of my many motivations for going to meetings!!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some days it can rate right up there with the fellowship...lol
Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is there a local food pantry that can help you get some emergency food? Or family/friends to help you? Buy eggs to go with the bacon.
No one should go hungry
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Did somebody say bacon?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you can have some of my bacon.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Fandy - Thanks for your concern; I should be OK for now. I just phoned my mum but she didn't pick up so she must be at work. She'll phone back once she gets off.

Awww, thank you caboblanco.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being hungry always affects my mood. I end up feeling down and heading for the booze or cigs. What I should do is eat. I guess having a proper meal plan/eating at the right times would help me.

I'd not given this any thought until I read your post - thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been craving cheeseburgers. Which is strange because I'm not normally a big fan of red meat. I wonder if my body is finally crying out for something it's been missing when intoxicated all the time.
But bacon is always good.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kys

Great post, I've found this too. While I know eating healthy is a nice part of recovery, right now if it becomes between me stuffing my face with a pizza or having a drink, I'm calling for that pizza straight away!

I've found being well fed to be a great deterrent. Will have to take a leaf out of your book though and cook rice/lentils, and some cheap and chunky stews etc to have on hand as take away gets expensive

But thanks for this post, I definitely agree and eating has helped stave off the cravings.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have this too, when I don't eat enough I always start craving a drink. And it's funny because when I quit drinking I can eat more and I still lose weight and look much better
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you lived nearer me, you could come to mine for tea!

I like doing slow cooker meals. Makes cheap cuts of meat taste better. I add loads of vegetables too. Cook it all day and then when I get home it is fabulous. I've done sausage casseroles and chilli too in the slow cooker.

Your right, I know when I eat a good meal I feel better.

My best to you
x
Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
If you lived nearer me, you could come to mine for tea!

I like doing slow cooker meals. Makes cheap cuts of meat taste better. I add loads of vegetables too. Cook it all day and then when I get home it is fabulous. I've done sausage casseroles and chilli too in the slow cooker.

Your right, I know when I eat a good meal I feel better.

My best to you
x
Aww, thanks. I ended up going to my mum's house after she finished work and she fed me and gave me some food to take home (no bacon though!)

Great point about slow cooker meals. I used to have a slow cooker and I should really get another one as cuts of meat and vegetables are very cheap to stew.