Notices

I get mad at myself..

Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I get mad at myself..

Just over 8 months sober and I still have little thoughts about drinking. Last weekend sitting in my chair watching my kids play and I kind of looked around to see what was missing. My drink of course!! Nice warm day, wouldn't that be nice? I have had those a few times and I actually get angry with myself. Why the hell would my mind even go there? Alcohol just about ruined my whole life, sent me to rehab, jail, you name it. I try to give myself a break knowing that it is just my addictive mind but it really kind of baffles me. I guess that is why they say alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jules

I understand where your coming from familyman. You should be very proud having 8 months sober. I'm on day 16 myself. You said it, that is just the addictive voice or the sick alcoholic in us trying to convince us that it would be ok to have just one.

I know for myself I was think of skipping my meeting today and while I was driving home the voice said "it would be nice to sit on the back patio and have a nice cold beer" So I took my ass to a meeting. The voice hasn't popped up to often, but something about a nice sunny day brings it out.

I've been told the voice is less often and less strong with time. For myself, I've been reminding myself its the first drink that is the problem for me, not the third or fourth or fifth.

Stay strong familyman!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Give yourself a big break FM...keep doing what you are doing.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The mind will do what it does. Thoughts just are. Acknowledging that you are having the thought and just let it be. You mind will soon turn to something else.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just had the same thought about an ice cold beer. Dang it!!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am three plus years sober and I find my mind goes there too. the longer I'm sober the less often those thoughts come and the less power they have. the Y is because I'm an alcoholic and always will be. just one of those things that I've learned to accept as a fact of life.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sure non Alkis have that thought too. A nice summers day, end of work week, a nice cool beer and relax. Of course lucky them, they can stop at one or two.

I can't. That's what bothers me most. That I crossed that darn line. Only 2.5 months for me. So hopefully like the long termers, some day those thoughts won't be an ongoing occurance. However it will always bother me, that I have no control in that area. Something, I am struggling to accept right now, but am getting there!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FamilyMan - I think everyone has those thoughts once in awhile. I'm over 5 yrs. sober now, but the first year or so I had them all the time - they do get less & less as MIRecovery said. We learn to be content without it, and finally are convinced that drinking won't enhance anything. I felt like something was missing early on - I think we all go through that phase. Alcohol created chaos in my life - so why would it ever cross my mind? I guess because we tend to remember the fun it once was, not the hell it turned into.

You're doing great - 8 mos. is a wonderful achievement!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the insight. I talked about it at a meeting. I guess acceptance is the key. I am an alcoholic and those thoughts will pop into my head once in awhile. As many said, over time they will get less and less. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I have had occasional thoughts of drinking or getting high (weed). The thing is they are only thoughts and they are quick at coming in--I think about where it got me--and they go out.

Don't act on the thought and you'll be okay. That is what I've done. Those "thoughts" are rare today, but in the previous 23 months there were more of them.

Not a craving or obsession, just a fleeting thought, usually when things were going well enough I wanted to increase those good feelings. That is when I turned to someone who was suffering and talked with them or called another person to see how their day was going.

Getting out of self helped me.