Notices

First post. My twins are 18 today

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post. My twins are 18 today

Hi. I've been a long time reader of SR, but never had the nerve to admit I have a serious problem with wine. My twins turn 18 today, and I think it's fitting that I give them my sobriety as a present.

I am stay at home mom who opens the wine bottle at 5pm and I usually finish the bottle. I've been drinking daily for 20 years, with random attempts of stopping in between. I don't drink during the day, but when dinner time comes along then the party starts. My kids have started to make comments, and my DH thinks I'm nuts. I'm becoming forgetful too.

I do have a stressful life at times. My oldest son has Aspergers, which has created issues for 10 years. Hewill most likely be at home for a while, and his twin sister is off to college in August. My youngest is a talented baseball player, and I am often gone with him at tournaments. Baseball parents can be heavy drinkers, and the parents on his team are no exception. The bar is hopping at the venues at 10am Not drinking with the team parents at night will be the hardest. I have social anxiety, and I started drinking more when I was in settings where I had to be around people I didn't know.

I'm 53 and want to see my Grandchildren. If I continue drinking I won't.

Thanks for reading. Now that I've outed myself I will continue to read your posts and contribute.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome 2013. That is great that you are deciding to do something and be sober not only for your kids, but even more importantly for yourself.

Stress comes in all different types, and everyone has it. Many times we think the alcohol helps, but eventually it just postpones it and makes it worse. My personal opinion would be to completely avoid the situations that heavy drinking goes on for a while at least. There's always plenty going on that doesn't involve drinking too. My guess is that no one will even notice if you just head back to your room or go do something with the kids instead of joining the boozefest at the baseball tournaments.

Best of luck to you, are you seeking any local support at all besides SR?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR 2013giants x
Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi 2013Giants. Welcome to the family.

I think you'll find SR to be a huge help as you get sober. I drank all my life, and never thought I could live without it. I was completely dependent on it in the end, & knew it was going to kill me. The daily encouragement and hope I found here helped me find the strength to quit. I now have 5 plus yrs. sober. You can do this! Glad you want to make this big change in your life - you won't regret it.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Giants

I never thought I could do without drinking either - but I've thrived
Lean on the support you'll find here - you can do this

D
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Scott, I am seeing a therapist and today I told her my main focus from now on would be my sobriety. I have some depression issues so I hope this will get better with the alcohol removed. Boozefest is a fitting term!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and good for you for deciding to change your life. You're making a change in your life that will be so positive for you and your family. I have had four grandchildren since I stopped drinking and I can't believe that I nearly threw that away.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck, stay strong, and keep busy in the evenings!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to our recovery family! You've made a smart choice to quit drinking. I was a wino too, from one to sometimes three bottles a day. I don't miss it a bit and don't regret quitting. You won't either.

Besides using SR as a recovery tool, I also see an addiction counselor. She's been a great help to me in all areas of my life.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Thank you for sing your story. Admitting you have a problem is such an important step in recovery. Welcome to SR