Notices

All I can smell is booze!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All I can smell is booze!

So I'm in the beginning stages of drying out after nearly ten years of some pretty heavy drinking, but all I can smell when I walk in the house. Or am trying to sleep is the overpowering pungent scent of alcohol. Its disruptive to my sleep and makes me insecure about having guests over. Is it just my body odor/sensory memory, or does the house really smell this awful of booze?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Depends on how long it's been since you had your last drink as to whether or not you yourself smell of alcohol. Regarding your house, do you keep empty bottles around or have you spilled a lot of it on the carpeting or furniture?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It could be body odor. I'm on day 1 and haven't gotten to the point of physical withdrawal yet, but I do know that my sweat usually smelled bad the day after drinking. Today as well.

Also, I used to smoke and for a few days this tobacco-like smell came oozing out of me through my sweat. It was my body getting rid of the mess.

And with smoking I also noticed that I became more sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke as well. Maybe you're noticing it more now.

You can test if it's your body odor by taking a good shower and putting on clean clothes. Notice how you smell. Then wait for a while and notice if your body starts to smell like alcohol.

My guess is that your body is starting to purge out the mess. If that's the case, it'll pass.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I vote for body odor. Wash your sheets, all your dirty clothes, febreeze your upholstery, toss all your trash. When I quit smoking, I had to fumigate my truck after three days. The first time I quit drinking it was several days before the smell went away.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is the by-products of alcohol metabolism escaping via your pores. Day 65 here and still an issue for me -- although less so than it was for the first month.

Despite being an attempt to manage it, taking vitamin B made it worse for me -- my sincere thanks to friends on SR for suggesting that it may be contributing. (!)

For some reason it doesn't make the list of symptoms listed for alcohol withdrawal on most sites -- perhaps they don't want to discourage people from quitting? There is an article on the web that sums it up well -- I don't have enough posts to post a URL (?) -- but if you google "5 things nobody tells you about quitting drinking" your will find it.

From the article: This isn't normal stink. If it was just persistent body odor, you could do something about it. No, this is stink on a demonic level. This is Stinkotronicus: Master of Stinkalarium, and it will make you do its bidding, lest it destroy you and all of those you hold dear. Showers do help, but their effect is very temporary and only seems to provoke it.

How bad is it? Another Cracked writer on the wagon (who posts as Yowhound) was actually kicked off of a public bus because of this ... in Europe. They've tolerated the French for thousands of years, but they couldn't handle one bus ride with a recovering alcoholic.

I drank hard for the last 10 years (including upwards of 2 to 3 bottles of wine per day for long spans of time) -- and gained about 50 pounds -- so I fear some of the by-products may be in my fat cells, and that the stench may haunt me as I lose the weight. But as I said, it is not as bad as it was -- and sooner or later it will be history.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stinkycanuck View Post
I drank hard for the last 10 years (including upwards of 2 to 3 bottles of wine per day for long spans of time) -- and gained about 50 pounds -- so I fear some of the by-products may be in my fat cells, and that the stench may haunt me as I lose the weight. But as I said, it is not as bad as it was -- and sooner or later it will be history.
Haha yeah I read that article too but they didnt really say it smelt like booze, just rancid so I wasnt sure. I like your name Stinky given the topic, and canuck? I'm Canadian also.. also was a big wino and gained about 50lbs, finding similarities in people who are doing it right now make me feel better about my situation.

Thanks everyone for your input, I do shower frequently and do change the sheets, cleaned the house etc. Just really hope I'm not wandering around smelling like a booze hound. I dont even think I smelt like a booze hound when I drank.. But I'm sure I did!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

It could be carpet or clothes which are the fabrics that hold odors commonly. Clean house(literally & figuratively) coz that smell will drive u bonkers & right back where u came from!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about anyone else but I definitely smelt of booze for a few days afterwards...especially if I'd been drinking cheap wine....and it was me - not my clothes or my house.

D
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is so weird you posted this! I would notice a foul sort of cheap wine smell, especially in my kitchen, for a good few days after I quit. I had put this down to maybe a spillage or something but it disappeared by the end of week 1 without me changing the cleaning routine.
I guess it was actually me, how revolting!

On an aside, it is so lovely not to have to avoid family members before the morning shower because I smell like a rancid bottle of wine.

Just another benefit of stopping we hadn't even realised, excellent!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Hopefully soon you will smell like a baby at bath time.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Most likely it is body odor. Last weekend I was with my brothers who all drink heavily still. The next afternoon after they finally woke up we went to get something to eat and almost instantly the entire car reeked of alcohol. It wasn't from their breath, it was something else... it was coming out of their bodies.