Notices

Does an OD mean I am an addict?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Does an OD mean I am an addict?

Hello all, thank you ahead of time for your support. My history includes abusing substances since I was about 18. It started with daily use of Marijuana (haven't used that since 2005), but also included xanax abuse. I have had time periods of abusing benzos and also times of sobriety. I never thought it would actually hurt me.. I started abusing again last year arond Feb, and in October 2012 I had an overdose (klonopin and flexeril) that put me in ICU for three days...That day I basically kept taking more and more throughout the day and my judgement became more and more impaired... I'd never "lost control" over the amount that I took in this way. I have gone to a few meetings since then but I really struggle with not knowing if i am an "addict" or not... I haven't taken anything since then, I drink socially, which has not been a problem.. I don't use alcohol the same way I used benzos (to numb out feelings). ANY feedback would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

In my opinion, you are indeed an addict and should not drink alcohol.

Why did you stop going to meetings?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think people can get hung up on the term 'addict' alot of the time. If you're overdosing , your certainly don't have what would be described as a healthy relationship with drugs.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a problem with alcohol but I choose to indulge in other recreational substances that I've never had a problem controlling. Everyone's different, and only you can decide for yourself what you should or should not do.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I stopped meetings bc I felt I couldn't relate to the alcohol dependence... I need to try NA. They are also intimidating to me
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, it;s not as if meetings are some necessity for quitting a substance that's causing problems. I don't go to meetings. I don't feel it's necessary for me. It is necessary for some people.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess that is what confuses me... I work at a rehab... it's engrained here that the only way is 12 steps.... so confused!! I don't know what to do with myself.. i don't want to OD again but i still have thoughts and cravings... I feel stuck. Any su ggestions?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you actually worked those 12 steps?

Maybe try not having contempt prior to investigation and work those steps, then decide if that is how you want to live life or not.

You can always actually work another method for staying stopped. Simple as this.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GraceAndJoy View Post
I guess that is what confuses me... I work at a rehab... it's engrained here that the only way is 12 steps.... so confused!! I don't know what to do with myself.. i don't want to OD again but i still have thoughts and cravings... I feel stuck. Any su ggestions?
Hello GraceAndJoy:

It was my experience that alcoholics/hard drinkers were basically from 2 camps.

I have seen seemingly hard-core drinkers realize their problem and put the drink down .. and their life became quite manageable and happy.

When I put the drink down I went nuts, my problems weren't over ... they were just beginning.

It is described very well in AA's HOW IT WORKS. Google and read it.

So, just quit drinking. See if your life becomes normal or nuts.

If it's normal .. you are good to go. If it's nuts .. then join me in AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There are certainly other ways than the twelve steps, but other programs rarely have meetings available (I know SMART meets in some cities). One of the miracles of the twelve steps is not in the steps but the traditions. Are you familiar with the twelve traditions? That is why AA is still around after more than 75 years. NA uses the same traditions.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you could quit EVERYTHING and see how that feels. someone who does NOT have a screwed up relationship with drugs/alcohol can put it all down without missing a beat. one way to ASSURE you never OD again is to never use again.

I think regardless of what tag you put on it, things got out of control. maybe just start with that....