Notices

Lottery tickets

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lottery tickets

The scratch off ones- anyone buy these? I have cut myself off. I think I wasted $40 in a two week span on them. All for what? Instant gratification? Jeeze! I am so sick! I don't know what to do with myself anymore....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I try to win a million dollars every now and then. I won $2.00 once. Maybe only buy a few a week. Not $20 worth....It could be worse.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have a hobby? I am creating abstract paintings. I enjoy the process and watching each layer of paint--even if I am just letting the paint fall from the container.... (acrylic paint on two canvases)

It's therapeutic and I get instant gratification with it!

Find something to do where you do find that instant gratification. It's just changing old habits into newer and more positive ones.

You can figure it out as to what you want to do

Hugs,
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do that too, not with lottery tickets but with sports gambling. I noticed the addictions usually go hand in hand - when I was drinking heavily I also gambled a lot and was careless with money.

Since I've been sober I stopped gambling, but just last week with the NCAA tournament starting I reloaded my account. It felt like a step back in recovery almost...why do I even bother? Is it really that fun to win $5-10 bucks on a game now and then? And is it worth losing $100 just to "enjoy the games more"?

I hear you, I feel your pain and I'm dealing with a bit of it now myself clearly. I think we both also feel the self-loathing that comes with it. What is wrong with us? Well....lots I suppose! But the good thing is that we can both fix these things, this is nothing compared to what I've been through with alcohol.

Don't beat yourself up. Stop buying the tickets, you're not going to the poor house because of your mess-up last week. You'll be okay! All the best to you on this issue!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have plenty to do- not bored at all- school and working part time. It is like I need a cheap thrill.

I worked my way up to a $20 scratch off, won $20 and then lost it.

I need to pray and meditate more as my sponsor says.