Notices

New...Here goes nothing!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New...Here goes nothing!

Hi I'm new to this forum and if all goes well recovery! I'm a 35 year old husband and father of two great little girls. I have to stop drinking for everyones sake, especially my own. I've tried to stop on my own before with obvious results since I'm writing on here. I've done counseling as well with no success. This time I think it may be the first time "I" really, really want to stop. I have two jobs and manage to keep it together for the most part so I keep fooling myself that I have things in control. I do not. I can't have a drink without wanting the whole 12 pack. Almost every time I drink I black out and don't remember how I got to bed. My wife tells me I'm an a$$hole when I drink, and I'm sure she's right. I'm terrified that I'm going to fail at this and have to admit that I'm gonna die from this, most likely alone. I hate what I'm doing to my family since they are so awesome. The guilt is eating me alive! I look forward to all of your experience and support. I am so scared!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound like me. I have two girls, both little. My wife said that when I was drinking. I was scared but much better now. I have two jobs as well. Well a full time and a part time. Anyway good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and this is my situation as well, but wife isnt with me anymore. but i have two kids and two jobs.
if you want to stop you can stop.
I never thought i would do it but year and half ini i feel great.

and my kids dont have to lock up the house anymore cuz dad is passed out on the couch
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello YM River & welcome...I too tried to quit on my own a few times & ended up going back to drinking and added trouble. I needed help, and could not do this alone. I recently celebrated 2 years sober with the help & fellowship of AA. It is worth a try in my opinion. You don't have to go it alone and you can pretty much go to meetings and find the ones you feel more at home with. But I do suggest you follow the suggestions they give there. It's simple....go to meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps & keep going to meetings. I need the meeting to keep me sober. I hope you find this helpful...Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

but like bryangt says, do exactly as they say.
sitting in the chair wont do alot, except keep the chair warm.
Get a sponsor and work the steps. Ask about a step study
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

There are different paths to sobriety, and one of them will work for you. I find that knowledge is power, so I recommend getting knowledgeable. Read around the different forums for different points of view.

Best of Luck!