Notices

Question about "AA Birthday"

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question about "AA Birthday"

Greetings all, I just joined the group today.

I have an issue that keeps coming up and I'd like some advice. I keep trying to quit but after a few days I start drinking again. The problem is that I am obsessed with my AA birthday. For example, it should be all odd numbers or be in a nice mathematical pattern.

I was ready to quit today and I thought that I had everything worked out - Six pack at home, drink all beers by midnight. I even set the timer so I'd stop drinking before the new day. My AA birthday would be 3/25/13 (all odd numbers).

The problem was that it was already 12:00 when the alarm went off and it took me about 10 seconds to finish my last beer. (I thought the alarm would go off at 11:59). So, in my mind, today can't be my AA birthday because I already drank today.

Now I have to decide to wait for another all odd date, or maybe start on 3/26/13 (because 13 x 2 = 26) but this date isn't all odd so, to me, it's not as "good."

The other issue I have is whether or not to wait until 3/31/13 which has two significant pluses for me. It's Easter (the rebirth of Christ) and it's my brother's AA birthday (he's been sober 8 or 9 years now).

It might put undo pressure on me to choose that date because it's already my brothers, but maybe it would give me added strength. Who knows?

I know this is the alcoholic mind thinking and, I know intellectually this is all kind of stupid, but I can't deny this is what I'm thinking.

Did any of you have similar thoughts when you began your sobriety and do you have any advice for me?

I am ready to quit but I'm not sure if I should wait until 3/31/13, a day that has some meaning to me.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Whichever date you give up drinking will have meaning for you if you stay the path and stay sober.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If I were choosing a day to quit, I would consult the Old Farmer's Almanac "Best Days" chart. This is based on planetary alignments, with much less emphasis on numerology than what you are doing. Look for "Best Days to Quit Smoking."

Full moon is coming up; that's always a good time to quit!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

3/25/13 does not have all odd numbers, unless I missed the press conference when "2" became an odd number. All of April will be messed up by this theory too, since the date starts with a "4". So you can basically only quit in odd months on odd years?

Bottom line is we all have excuses, whether they seem weird or not that's what they are: excuses. There is never, ever, ever, EVER a perfect time to quit. It's not easy, it's not fun, but it's rewarding once you're through the first hurdles. Sounds like you're looking for ways to avoid the starting gate...good luck with everything.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You may also want to consult the phases of the moon. The Zodiac may also be helpful to you.

I wish you well on your sober recovery!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobepure View Post

I have an issue that keeps coming up and I'd like some advice. I keep trying to quit but after a few days I start drinking again. The problem is that I am obsessed with my AA birthday. For example, it should be all odd numbers or be in a nice mathematical pattern.

I was ready to quit today and I thought that I had everything worked out - Six pack at home, drink all beers by midnight. I even set the timer so I'd stop drinking before the new day. My AA birthday would be 3/25/13 (all odd numbers).

The problem was that it was already 12:00 when the alarm went off and it took me about 10 seconds to finish my last beer. (I thought the alarm would go off at 11:59). So, in my mind, today can't be my AA birthday because I already drank today.

Now I have to decide to wait for another all odd date, or maybe start on 3/26/13 (because 13 x 2 = 26) but this date isn't all odd so, to me, it's not as "good."

The other issue I have is whether or not to wait until 3/31/13 which has two significant pluses for me. It's Easter (the rebirth of Christ) and it's my brother's AA birthday (he's been sober 8 or 9 years now).

It might put undo pressure on me to choose that date because it's already my brothers, but maybe it would give me added strength. Who knows?

I know this is the alcoholic mind thinking and, I know intellectually this is all kind of stupid, but I can't deny this is what I'm thinking.

Did any of you have similar thoughts when you began your sobriety and do you have any advice for me?

I am ready to quit but I'm not sure if I should wait until 3/31/13, a day that has some meaning to me.

No, I didn't have to contend with that ..... I had a gun to my head and was ready to pull the trigger. The date really wasn't important at that time.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your ideal date may be too late. Today is probably your best bet. The anniversary of AA is Dr Bobs sobriety date. Its the date that he took his last drink. Not the day after. So you can follow suit.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
your ideal date may be too late. Today is probably your best bet. The anniversary of AA is Dr Bobs sobriety date. Its the date that he took his last drink. Not the day after. So you can follow suit.
I thought your AA birthday is the first COMPLETE day you stop drinking, not the day you took your last drink. Is there an "official" definition within AA for "AA Birthday?"
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about today? No numerology or anything. A full moon is a good time to get your hair cut though according to some Native American beliefs. It's good luck.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today is the best day to start. Make it your special day to start a new beginning to a new journey. You will be proud of yourself. A number is just a number...when your ready that is YOUR time. Best of luck....
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I use the day of my last drink.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I thought your AA birthday is the first COMPLETE day you stop drinking, not the day you took your last drink. Is there an "official" definition within AA for "AA Birthday?"
There is no official definition. Seems to be a matter of personal preference but Dr Bob and the original members as far as I know used the day of their last drink.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't have specific dates but my AV would certainly say things like "I'll quit after this wedding." Or, "my birthday is coming up, I'll quit after that."

The best time to quit is now.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, Wanttobepure, just wanted to tell you you're not the only one! I am exactly the same.

I quit on March 1, 2013; so either 1.3.13 (UK-style date) or 3.1.13 (US-style date). I feel kind of stupid and irrational admitting this, but I like symmetry of that date, and in some small way it helps me not want to screw it up because I don't want to lose it!

That being said, the particular digits of a date are nothing compared to sobriety itself, and I agree with the others who say don't wait for the perfect date to start your sober life. Whatever date you quit is the perfect date for you and will take on immense meaning for you personally.

Good luck - this community is fantastic, and in particular you might want to join us in the Class of March 2013 thread, where lots of us have been getting sober together this month, with new people joining all the time.

Best wishes from a fellow number fanatic
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
3/25/13 does not have all odd numbers, unless I missed the press conference when "2" became an odd number.

Bottom line is we all have excuses, whether they seem weird or not that's what they are: excuses. There is never, ever, ever, EVER a perfect time to quit. It's not easy, it's not fun, but it's rewarding once you're through the first hurdles. Sounds like you're looking for ways to avoid the starting gate...good luck with everything.
bigsombrero, thank you for your reply! Yes, I know 2 is an even number, but 25 is a completely different number and it's odd.

You are right, this number obsession of mine is one way to delay my sobriety, but I'm sure I'll be starting soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Whew, I was afraid this was going to be the 13th post in your thread...

But it's my 1,111th post, which means your time to quit drinking is now!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lots of folks on here had a lot of good advice to share with you. But, I think it may behoove you to check out a licensed therapist to see if you are suffering from any other mental illness besides addiction.