Notices

How do you find your bliss in sobriety?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you find your bliss in sobriety?

I am just finding my way in my own sobriety and am wondering, since I read somewhere on here, how people 'find their bliss in sobriety'? I know that the first while isn't blissful for many, if anyone. I know it is tough, but I am wondering what other people do to focus on the positive, when feeling so negative?

So far what's worked for me has been reading literature and watching movies on alcoholism, excercising and eating right, and trying to intentionally focus on my AV and combat it.

Im still terrified of this weekend, as I keep catching myself thinking, so convincingly, that I can just go out for a few drinks.. That a night out drinking doesn't mean I'm an alcoholic.. blah blah blah! NONSENSE, I know, but it sounds so good in my head, at first. Ahhh, the struggle.

I hope everyone is having a good, bright and successful sober Friday!
Thanks for listening
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post! This is my first day so I can't speak from recent experience however I must say I'm looking forward to educating myself. Not in like get a degree (although ANYTHING is achievable whilst sober) I just mean reading more, watching more documentaries etc. I feel like drinking has dumbed me down so much and fried my brain. I'm hoping that every day I stay sober I can get a little bit more of that back.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toeachtheirown View Post
I know that the first while isn't blissful for many, if anyone. I know it is tough, but I am wondering what other people do to focus on the positive, when feeling so negative?
I tried to quit drinking everyday for a few years. When I finally got a few days under my belt, then a few weeks (god that felt good), then a few months... nothing could take away the sense of pride I felt. I knew so well that sense of disappointment when I carried on drinking, so my sober time became really important to me. To reinforce that I made sure I had fun stuff to do. Most of it just involved having baths and early nights and reading but I felt like I was being good to myself and I had never done that before.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post

I tried to quit drinking everyday for a few years. When I finally got a few days under my belt, then a few weeks (god that felt good), then a few months... nothing could take away the sense of pride I felt. I knew so well that sense of disappointment when I carried on drinking, so my sober time became really important to me. To reinforce that I made sure I had fun stuff to do. Most of it just involved having baths and early nights and reading but I felt like I was being good to myself and I had never done that before.
I'm really looking forward to getting to that point too Hypochondriac, just were I feel like I'm really investing in myself and I don't constantly think of alcohol anymore.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jules

Exercise, fresh air, reaching out and talking to people.....I think that is the most dangerous thing to have these feelings of negativity or anxiety and hold it in. Its so hard for me to talk about what I'm feeling, but when I do I feel so much better!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Exercise! Feeling strength rather than sickness is amazing. Especially enjoying the outdoors hangover-free.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found bliss when I woke up this morning and wasn't feeling like crap.
And I wasn't feeling like a loser.
THAT was blissful.
And I'm only starting on my second week!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Early days for me still but I feel as if my life is more peaceful which to me is blissful. I have more good days than bad days. Life's not perfect but it wasn't before and it's a lot better than it was
Old 09-24-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesting! I get excited when I think about the idea of finding bliss. Bliss is actually a state of mind. It's all part of the work-life balance, with an emphasis on balance. These techniques for finding your bliss can be cheap, or even free.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

i find my bliss in making the effort every time go the extra mile and do something extraordinary

it started with the acceptance that i will never drink again i have no problem with never drinking again for me its a relief i can focus on mjy sobriety

i dont live in fear of having a drink i am aware that a shipload of ppl relapse and i learn from them the most as i havnt relapsed i have no plans to i love my sobriety with all my heart

im not aa im not avrt yet take knowledge from both

i learn from everything to me learning and strenghtening creates bliss

but so does my 4 year old neice she only has to look at me and i melt

bliss
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bliss....

I guess that's what we're all supposed to find, right? BLISS.

Live the life we love.

Follow your dreams.

All of that stuff.

Well I do believe in those things, yet at the same time I struggle - sobriety or not - to 'find' them. I think that bliss, like every other emotion, is temporary. Rather than view it as a destination or ultimate goal, I think maybe it helps to recognize that bliss will be "found" in and amongst anger, sadness, frustration, concern, hope, desire, longing, sorrow and fear.

I think maybe we do ourselves no favors by putting bliss and happiness up on a pedestal and then by default feeling like we're getting it all wrong if we're not there.

I try to start my day, every day, with a written meditation on positivity or faith or goodness. I try to look at how I'm feeling and let the feelings be there, even as I try to focus my vision on at least One Good Thing. Because One Good Thing Leads To Another.

Today, I am stressed out. I have a job interview. I am carrying all sorts of anxiety over unknowns in my career future. I am worried and overcommitted and frustrated and I don't know what the hell my life purpose is.

But I began my day with this written statement;

"Today, let me see clearly the signs that might move me closer to my Purpose.

Today, help me have Faith.

Today, let me live with Love and Kindness along the way."

It didn't make me exactly blissful. I certainly don't feel, right now, as though I am "in my bliss". But at the same time I feel grateful for a lot. I feel a little more empowered to accept the unknowns. I feel that one way or another, things will be OK.

And for now anyway, I'm OK with that.