Notices

could really do with a drink

Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

could really do with a drink

I have no intention of having one but I feel so anxious that one glass of wine would really settle my nerves.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a hypno cd (well a few actually lol) and they really help to relax me. I usually fall asleep halfway through but wake up at the end feeling much better. They've really helped over the last 4 days
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't do it - it never ends up being one! I'm going through the same thing - I'm not anxious, but because I didn't drink last night , I feel I "deserve" one tonight. In actuality - I "deserve" to feel good. I hope the anxiety passes quickly. You can do it and going on here is a great way to help.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know the feeling.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know the feeling, too! It will be better once you get into your evening routine, as long as there's no alcohol available. Try to stay busy if you can.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Have some ice cream.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Take a bath, walk barefoot on the grass, stand at an open window and breathe deeply. There are many ways to feel better. Keep us posted.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How long since your last drink? If you're addicted to the drug then yes, it would indeed calm your nerves - for now, until the withdrawal starts all over again... We call this the "jumping off point." Can't live with it, can't live without it. The problem really isn't that you are anxious as much as you need a drug to calm your anxiousness - a drug we know to be extremely addictive and dangerous. It's a tough spot, and should you decide you want to not drink you'll need to take action towards recovery in some way.

Posting here was a good idea and a good start! Is there someone else you can call as well? Seek out a meeting? A good, sober friend or family member? A therapist?

If none of these is an option, consider preoccupying your mind - go for a walk, do some household chores... something that will get you moving. When I was dying for a drink, movies, TV and reading didn't work because my brain was squirming, but chores like window washing did the trick long enough for the craving to pass.

One of the biggest lies we tell ourselves is that a drink will make us feel better. It doesn't - it's just a simple fact. Hang in there
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, I couldn't have one as there is no alcohol in the house and my son is asleep, if he wasn't I'm sure I'd have bought a bottle of wine by now. I understand that feeling of deserving it. My other half has just rang me to tell me he will be going out drinking with his friends on Saturday, I know that is when I will feel like I deserve a drink, I always do, I feel like I'm stuck in and he is out drunk so why shouldn't I have a drink? That will be my big test.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It might be time to re evaluate your definition of "fun", alcohol is not he centre of the universe, it is not the only thing people do on a Friday night or at the weekends, there's a whole world of possibilities to fill our lives with, we just need to find out what we enjoy doing.

I thought it was drinking, but the reality was it brought a lot more misery than enjoyment by the end of my drinking career!!

Make a plan as to what you're going to do this weekend well in advance, enjoy yourself, and look forward to waking up on Saturday and Sunday morning hangover free!!

Wouldn't that be fantastic compared to how life used to be?! You can do this!!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What's eating you? Care to share?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't 'deserve' a drink but you do deserve a sober life.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by marina1981 View Post
I have no intention of having one but I feel so anxious that one glass of wine would really settle my nerves.
One glass of wine probably would settle your nerves, but that is not an option. You'd have several and eventuallly you will be worse off than when you started. That's the nature of addiction.

There is a vast array of other things you can do to calm your nerves other than drinking, excercise, any kind of organized activity, reading, cooking, cleaning, working, etc....the key is learning to do these instead of drinking to deal with our issues.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Anxiety Slayer - Self help anxiety relief: podcasts, guided meditations and supportive downloads
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just logged in with the intention of saying that even though I've made it through Day 2 I am definitely feeling pretty anxious and irritable....So you're not alone and neither am I - let's do it again tomorrow ok?? Every time I thought about drinking today I realized how badly I wanted to be able to come back here tonite and say that I made it through Day 2.

I got a lot of things done today and felt pretty good until about 3pm when I started getting antsy. Dinner is finished, one kid is bathed and doing homework, other one doing homework and needs a shower. I made a cup of decaf tea and am trying to keep my brain engaged on sorting through some paperwork.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello: that is called your AV. Understanding this will help you. Don't give in. You will feel bad afterwards.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You came to the right place for support. You know that one glass leads to another glass, and then the bottle is gone. And what do you gain from it? Take a walk, take a hot bath, take some deep breaths, listen to some relaxing music…there are plenty of other ways to calm your nerves without putting poison back into your body and life again.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Marina

I get the wanting to feel good NOW part of things.

Booze is a quick fix right?

I use caffeine for the same reason. I want energy NOW.

Of course, I could take more exercise, and eventually I will get really fit and have more energy naturally. But of course, I have that type of personality that wants results NOW. Not in 2 weeks, not in 2 months.

I have come to look at getting sober like going from 400lbs to a healthy 180lbs..... It ain't gonna happen overnight. (that's not my reality, just how I look at it)

I came to that point of view, watching "The Biggest Loser" show.

Many overweight individuals have sought a "magic bullet" for their problem. Crash diets, fad exercise machines... But finally they learn that losing weight is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

And so it is with getting sober.

There is no "quick fix"... It is a journey with ups downs twists and turns.

Don't quit on getting sober.

I bet the people (and there seems to be one every season) who walk off the show & quit "The Biggest Loser " are still overweight, miserable and regret their decision, especially when they watch the finale show and all the contestants who stayed are now in amazing shape.

I hope that helps
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i have those feelings so often. i could not do it
Old 09-23-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us drank to 'take the edge off'.
It's hard to get used to living with 'the edge' but you will Marina

It gets better - eventually there won't be an edge at all

D