Notices

Drug terms at work

Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Drug terms at work

Yesterday I was approached to donate $5 to an organization in exchange for a "dress down" day today. I did. But she offered a coworker to pay today instead. I said she will " front" you. Take it.

The terminology for me is so drug related. I said it without realizing I did. They gave me a look.

I also made reference one time to it being 4:20. Again got a look.

You ever use drunk or drug or AA terminology at work and get a look or response?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get asked what rule 62 is all the time...it's in my personl email signature...i give an explanation. Not a big deal.
Medical jargon we use (not in front of patients) is very crass, much worse. I don't worry about it.
You can concentrate on choosing your verb age carefully if you are worried.
It's how you act and perform at work that is important.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my work it's common knowledge that most people regularly take cocaine especially on the weekends. It's also common for cocaine to be readily available at work's parties.

Hence why I NEVER attend work parties, heavily drunk/drugged up people everywhere - my idea of hell, especially when I'm trying to stay sober!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Panache.... Wow! What field allows that! Sounds like Wall Street to me.

Fandy.... Not worried at all. I think it's funny. I was just curious the various things people may have come across.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Panache.... Wow! What field allows that! Sounds like Wall Street to me.

Fandy.... Not worried at all. I think it's funny. I was just curious the various things people may have come across.
Law firm Weasel - Money never sleeps haha!

I don't really tell anyone about my decision to be T-total, because I think they'd laugh. Sounds ridiculous but the place has a fairly young set of staff and has such a massive drinking culture, that's all most people do - on lunchtimes also! Of course I've been an instigator in the lunchtime beverage myself, so if I told people I was now staying sober, they'd think I was "mad"... What they didn't know was the little secret I was hiding of when I'd go home and drink a further 2 bottles of wine alone.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by weasel1966
You ever use drunk or drug or AA terminology at work and get a look or response?
LOL Weas...I am always getting a look or response about something I say. I have little or no filter and not much is sacred in my world. As far as humor, the more irreverent the better for me. It runs in the family...everything that has touched us deeply and profoundly and some of the things that have almost killed us are our favorite subjects...cancer jokes, autism jokes, addiction jokes, psych ward jokes...just a coping mechanism I suppose, but beyond that I think it's a way of looking at the world and life in general. Not much offends me, but I have to watch about offending others. I am a huge fan of the double entendre...feel free to "hold that against me"
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was not aware that "front" was a drug term. I used it long before I had any involvement with drugs.

I think a lot of this is about the speaker's understandable discomfort. The listener does not necessarily take anything as a drug reference. I am an addict and that one went right over my head!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have used "front" also didn't know it was a drug term either

"I will front you the money", tbh dont even know where i picked it up, perhaps a regional thing...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

25 years ago I was at the natural foods co op buying herbal teas. They sold herbs from jars there. I filled my plastic bag and weighed it. Then I rolled it up and licked the end of the baggie to close it. I looked up and the guy next to me just stared and smiled. He held up a twist tie for the baggie.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Front is not just a drug term. I guess you are correct. It is the speaker. Front is a term I used and my reaction to its use is related.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I will frequently tell people they need a 12-step program for something.

Chronically forgetting your security badge? "I think there's a 12-step program for that."
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never heard of Rule 62 but I love it!