Notices

Alcoholic parents

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic parents

Hi, again sorry if this in the wrong thread but just wanted to add a little more to my story.

I live with my parents who both drive daily. My mum and dad will go out to the pub every evening. My mum a bottle of wine, my dad 8 pints.

I come home after work to see to my dog (who is my saving grace most days) but after seeing to the dog I will drink a bottle of wine plus a few glasses.

Living in a house of drinkers is hard. Staying sober is tough, because 1) when they come in drunk is the most annoying thing in the world for me being sober and 2) it feels like this is the norm. Staying clean is a desperate struggle.

Does anyone else deal with this sort of situation and if so, how do you cope?

Asking my parents to quit is falling on deaf ears, they are too set in their ways and drink with like minded people, so it's a definite no go.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

I think your thread will get moved by a mod to the correct place; this section has ongoing threads for daily check ins.

To your question... I live with two roommates, good friends of mine, who drink. At the moment I can count 5 small bottles of beer, one large bottle of beer, and two bottles of wine without moving my head (we had a party over the weekend so there are leftovers). About 20 more beers in the house! And yes they will get drunk from time to time.

This used to be really hard for me... I tried to quit a few months ago and couldn't resist all the opportunities to drink.

This time though something changed. I'm committed to it for myself. Right now there'll be no one but me home til a few days from now... I could very easily drink every drop of alcohol in the house, replace it all and no one would be the wiser. But I'm not going to because I've worked really hard to get where I am and my environment is not a factor in that.

Not very helpful, I know... but at least for me it was like that switch just had to flip.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I think your thread will get moved by a mod to the correct place; this section has ongoing threads for daily check ins.

To your question... I live with two roommates, good friends of mine, who drink. At the moment I can count 5 small bottles of beer, one large bottle of beer, and two bottles of wine without moving my head (we had a party over the weekend so there are leftovers). About 20 more beers in the house! And yes they will get drunk from time to time.

This used to be really hard for me... I tried to quit a few months ago and couldn't resist all the opportunities to drink.

This time though something changed. I'm committed to it for myself. Right now there'll be no one but me home til a few days from now... I could very easily drink every drop of alcohol in the house, replace it all and no one would be the wiser. But I'm not going to because I've worked really hard to get where I am and my environment is not a factor in that.

Not very helpful, I know... but at least for me it was like that switch just had to flip.
Thank you so much for replying fantail.

How did you find the strength to commit to quitting when you're in such a place that's so easily accessible to drink? Was it a defining moment or something else?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is part of the reason I relapsed. My father would always get messed up and take 2 bottles of wine to the head plus the weed and cigarettes. I told him that I get antsy and want to drink when I'm around it but he says I need to learn to control myself. Not every one is built that tough especially when it's constantly in your face and you can smell the alcohol .

Then when I drink, they get mad at me, however I messed up big time now and got kicked out. I feel so down, I wish I could find tranquility somewhere.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FMP1989 View Post
This is part of the reason I relapsed. My father would always get messed up and take 2 bottles of wine to the head plus the weed and cigarettes. I told him that I get antsy and want to drink when I'm around it but he says I need to learn to control myself. Not every one is built that tough especially when it's constantly in your face and you can smell the alcohol .

Then when I drink, they get mad at me, however I messed up big time now and got kicked out. I feel so down, I wish I could find tranquility somewhere.
I agree with you FMP, my parents are alcoholics but I have a very successful sibling who has a degree from Oxford and a PHD from Cambridge, so when I being up my upbringing and the fact they drink often, they say "why are you not like your sibling?" It's something I can't dispute?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi panache - is there no opportunity for you to move out?

if not then I think it's a case of building up a sober support network - Places like SR and something like AA or some other recovery group can really help.

Not to downplay your situation but in the end, we all live amongst drinkers, whether they're family, friends, neighbours or characters on TV or the movies.

the bottom line is we have to accept we need to walk a different path.

D
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi panache - is there no opportunity for you to move out?

if not then I think it's a case of building up a sober support network - Places like SR and something like AA or some other recovery group can really help.

Not to downplay your situation but in the end, we all live amongst drinkers, whether they're family, friends, neighbours or characters on TV or the movies.

the bottom line is we have to accept we need to walk a different path.

D
Absolutely agree with that D and that sentence has given me a boost, we all live amongst drinkers indeed.

Sadly the financial situation doesn't enable me to move out, but one day!

Like you say I will build up a sober support network here and look at other options such as AA. I'm considering going my first AA meeting on Saturday night, but boy am I nervous!