Notices

Religion.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Religion.

Why do posters say that they will pray for posters when they fail? If you believe if God...more power to ya...but why say God will help you make it through and without him/her...you might not? I see posts all over the place that says God will help you quit. If that thought process helps you quit...fantastic. But dont think if you dont believe in God...you suck and cant quit. You gotta believe in yourself...first and foremost.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Um, you might want to check out the secular forums...

In my experience, prayers are often an expression of compassion, from one person to another. I'm not religious, but I'll accept kindness any which way it comes.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure you and I are reading the same threads TFL....I sometimes see posts saying 'God helped me quit' and sometimes see posts suggesting a HP can help...

I myself will often offer a prayer if people have lost a loved one or something because I'm a Christian...but thats not the same thing.

I can recommend the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach....very little God Talk down there.

D
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

usually I just click on the Thanks button
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ThirstForLife, I'm an evolutionist, believe life as we know it start right here on Mother Earth without help from any outside forces of any kind. My beliefs are of secondary importance when I'm reading somebody's thread. When I respond to a persons thread and say I'm praying to god for you, I'm not thinking about my beliefs, I'm thinking about thier soberiety.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I find it a bit uncomfortable but I take it in the spirit it's offered. It's not a sentiment you hear much in Australia, so it could be a cultural thing.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If someone is praying for you in general, thank them. If someone says you can't get sober withour god, prove them wrong.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's not terribly helpful to focus on others' spiritual beliefs, mainly because you're not going to change any minds and generally not worth the fight. Also, prayers are just the same as other people saying "Good Luck", really. So....Good Luck! Secular Forum is a good place to start also, many people there aren't believers.