Notices

proud to make a change

Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

proud to make a change

Hello everyone,

I am unfortunately having a hard time staying away from muscle relaxers, oxycodone to be exact. They are very popular in my area and easy to find, incredibly hard to deny an opportunity for me, especially when I'm bored.
At times, both me and my wife are strong enough to tell each other that we are better than this, but we unfortunately fail to stop the nonsense.
These things have led to lies, broken hearts and promises, sickness, and more.
I know that we are better than this, and I hate admitting that we need help.
I fear that with this new job and better income, I will have an even harder time being strong when I need to most.

At times, I try to keep myself busy by surfing the internet, working on schoolwork, or taking out my family (daughter and girlfriend, her mother) to the park, beach, or somewhere cheerful and mentally rewarding.
I NEED to stop this nonsense and move out so I can finally start my newly formed family. I plan on having another child (hoping for a boy) but I cannot support of both of our addictions and two children.

I hope that I will gain the remaining confidence and support I need through this community.

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Terry - welcome

You'll certainly find a lot of support here - are you interested in face to face support too - there's things like NA and other programmes?

D
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, TW!

There are many others here at SR who have quit, and some have done it with just the support they get from this community. You would certainly find additional support at local NA meetings.

My wife and I quit drinking and smoking pot four months ago. For us, the most important thing is having each other's support. We go to AA and NA meetings together (some meetings have childcare, and where we live folks sometimes bring kids to meetings), and we both meet regularly with our sponsors. And when that inner voice starts telling me to get high, I don't need to rely on an inner voice to overcome the urge: there is another person with a physical voice who says "NO!" even though sometimes that other person might be hearing the same thing from an inner voice.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome, TW!

There are many others here at SR who have quit, and some have done it with just the support they get from this community. You would certainly find additional support at local NA meetings.

My wife and I quit drinking and smoking pot four months ago. For us, the most important thing is having each other's support. We go to AA and NA meetings together (some meetings have childcare, and where we live folks sometimes bring kids to meetings), and we both meet regularly with our sponsors. And when that inner voice starts telling me to get high, I don't need to rely on an inner voice to overcome the urge: there is another person with a physical voice who says "NO!" even though sometimes that other person might be hearing the same thing from an inner voice.
Hello, and thank you for the suggestion. For the mean time, my girlfriend and I are supporting each other as much possible. Our sobriety is related to a different substance of choice but I can definitely see a relationship between the strength, determination, and support it takes to defeat the urges.

As for your suggestion (and the poster above) there are some local NA meetings that we would be able to attend, and we are looking into some of them. More importantly, spring break ends this weekend for us and our institutions offer free, anonymous help with problems of the sort. My main priority is anonymity: as proud as I am to speak of being strong and sober, I want to try and remain anonymous, just because I have a child. I know a few people, who are thankfully not associated with me anymore, who've had either their parents or family members file a legal complaint and have their children taken from them, the last thing I want is the potential for that to happen, which is why I'm here!

I will keep the community updated on our sobriety. Perhaps this is all the support we need, who knows. This is my first time joining a SR forum.

Until next time,
TW