Notices

Old to recovery, New to online networks :)

Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old to recovery, New to online networks :)

Hello there, I've browsed the forum some and assume this is where I would introduce myself. I'm a bit over 30 and am an recoving alcholic and addict. I hit "my" rock bottom in 2005, climbed back up to fall several times again but still on a steady upward climb. I've realized even though some may be able to "solve" their problems and go about their life I myself will have to deal with these problems the rest of my life. I've currently started going back to after work meetings, changed my phone number (a must...) and anounced to family and friends that I'm, along with other life matters, focusing more on my sobriety. I do see an addictionaligist on a monthly bassis due to my heavy addiction to opiates/opioides in the past, drug test, sceduled meetings ect. but the after work meetings and networking like this site is by my own free will. I am newly married, with a young child too, which both are a blessings but I fear as always something will go wrong since I dwell on the past too much sometimes but with help, today I am sober and I truely want to stay that way.

Thank you to those who have read this, I've never registered with such a site before and look to good things in the future.

~ E

PS - sorry for the spelling mistakes, I've downloaded the appropriate program above but installing right now.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome labeledbass!

I feel the same way you do.... being sober is life-long process and commitment. I need a little inspiration and support every day and there's a ton of that here! Glad you've joined us and congrats on your sober time!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I truely want to live a healthy, alive, life - I can't take care of my loved ones if I'm not taking care of myself!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR labelledbass
D
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by labeledbass View Post
Hello there, I've browsed the forum some and assume this is where I would introduce myself. I'm a bit over 30 and am an recoving alcholic and addict. I hit "my" rock bottom in 2005, climbed back up to fall several times again but still on a steady upward climb. I've realized even though some may be able to "solve" their problems and go about their life I myself will have to deal with these problems the rest of my life. I've currently started going back to after work meetings, changed my phone number (a must...) and anounced to family and friends that I'm, along with other life matters, focusing more on my sobriety. I do see an addictionaligist on a monthly bassis due to my heavy addiction to opiates/opioides in the past, drug test, sceduled meetings ect. but the after work meetings and networking like this site is by my own free will. I am newly married, with a young child too, which both are a blessings but I fear as always something will go wrong since I dwell on the past too much sometimes but with help, today I am sober and I truely want to stay that way.

Thank you to those who have read this, I've never registered with such a site before and look to good things in the future.

~ E

PS - sorry for the spelling mistakes, I've downloaded the appropriate program above but installing right now.
Hey labeledbass,

Welcome to SR, you found a great place here.

In your ending you mentioned your new family... First, CONGRATULATIONS!! And secondly, (this was a motivation for me), if you truly care about them, make them the focus of your recovery, at least for now. You can do this, but at the same time, you are worth it too.

We all have choices, that's the great thing. We can choose to pick up, or we can choose to not.

Whatever your goals, I wish you the best, and again, welcome to this site, it's awesome.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello & welcome here.
Sounds like you have plenty to be sober for & most important you said YOU truly want to be!
thanks for sharing your story, keep posting!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! D, sorry if I stepped on some toes, old forum habits from the dark side...

Went to another meeting last night, eventful birthday and heard anothers story, got a few numbers - good times!

Yes, as much as I have made others, and objects, the reason for being sober, I try not to rely on one specific thing aside my own lifes manageability to stay sober, only because I've idolized things in the past that let me down, that turned into an excuse to use/drink, but I know what your talking about & that does work, most definitly a motivator and an important reason to stay on an even keil.

I honestly haven't drank in a bit, and when I did it was only a glass of wine, but I can't say the same for other substances and I'm curently in a suboxone program due to my past, something I wish to discontinue in the future but is helping for the time being. So the other night I went ahead and picked up a white chip (the current meeting I'm attending uses the chip system, others vary from what I've experienced though).

Thank you again for any support, in the past, current or to be & I hope to help others in turn. You truely aren't alone in this world

~ E