Notices

I need to get sober

Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to get sober

Hello,

I'll try to be brief. I've been a alomst daily beer drinker for probably 20 years now. Started out maybe drinking a six pack 4-5 nights a week. Now here I sit. Coming off a week long binge in which I stayed drunk around the clock.

Terrible feeling to need to drink beer at 8 am after dropping my daughter off at school. Only god knows why I haven't been picked up for DUI!?

I knew back in November 2012 that I needed to quit. The drinking had become unmanageable.

I feel like a switch has been flipped in me. Once I start drinking I do not want to stop no matter what.

Since November 2012 I have probably been sober about half the time between now and then....

I just made thru my second night sober. That first night sucked. And I knew it would. Didn't sleep a wink, night sweats, desperation, anxiety.

I been going to AA since mid December. About 3 weeks ago I got a sponsor and promptly fell off the wagon. He is sticking with me.

Well anyway. God willing.......Today at noon, I'll be 48 hours sober.

Glad I found this place. I'm getting ready to go for a walk and then a AA meeting.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol had a firm grip on me also.

It sounds like you are ready to be sober and taking the steps towards your recovery. Those awful feelings you are having will fade in a matter of days, and it will get better and better because you are sober.

I can't say enough about the emotional difference between being an active alcoholic vs being in recovery. It is like I had on dark glasses and I took them off and everything is bright and beautiful. Life is obviously not always like that, but it is those times I remember when things are tough.

Working the steps is really helping me.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on taking the first steps! I needed to get sober for a long time, but it didn't happen until I wanted to get sober. At that point, I needed to take action. And I did. I took my will back and tested the waters, ended up right where I was in the time frame of 3 days! After almost 4 1/2 months sober. But I got right back up and am pressing forward, happily. My drinking was manageable, my life wasn't. Everything in my life has improved since I quit! It's absolutely amazing! When we are able to quit, miracles happen! Hang in there! One day at a time! You can do this!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck on your journey, LEP. I would highly recommend seeing a doctor before you detox on your own, especially after such a long period of continuous drinking. Stopping cold can kill unless it's supervised. Please seek help with this! Keep us posted on how things go and turn to SR for help and support. It's worked for me...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. :-)
Day 9 here. Little steps.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello LEP1968. I am very new and your post moved me. 2 days sober is an amazing accomplishment!! Please, keep posting!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and good for you for taking steps to deal with your addiction.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 2 days of sobriety!!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LEP

D
Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family and congrats on your two days sober! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome : )
Day 18 here.........
Old 03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, LEP!

Congratulations on your 2 days sober!!

Sassy
Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I made it to 3 days. Last night was a little better sleeping wise. But the night sweats came back a little bit. Ugh.

I'm pretty tired right now. Been going to 3 AA meetings a day the past few days.

Went to a new one today. Meet some great people with some sobriety behind them. Plan on going to one more tonight and maybe staying for a 2nd one at same location meant for beginners.

I been reading posts here and I really like this site. I'm glad I found it. Thanks for the good wishes.