Notices

Questioning Relationship/newly sober

Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questioning Relationship/newly sober

Hello All,

I am 8 days sober. Feeling Good. A little crabby and emotional sometimes. I was last time also when I quit for 12 days. I am wondering once you got sober, did you question your relationship? I feel like I am. I am not sure if its my grumpyness from being newly sober or if something else is going on. I know time will only tell buy any insight?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I questioned everything in the first weeks and months of my recovery.

At my bottom, most of what I believed about myself had fallen away. Everything was looked at through a different perspective.

Focus on your recovery and be patient and see what happens.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you are doing well...your mind and body will settle down...see if you can help some one also...share your story with them.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fitness1234 View Post
Hello All,

I am 8 days sober. Feeling Good. A little crabby and emotional sometimes. I was last time also when I quit for 12 days. I am wondering once you got sober, did you question your relationship? I feel like I am. I am not sure if its my grumpyness from being newly sober or if something else is going on. I know time will only tell buy any insight?

Hi Fitness,

Good morning, and thanks for putting this out there. I too am questioning my relationship. The troubles go beyond my drinking. I'm taking some time though, as I have invested much time into my marriage and have a family to consider. I don't know for certain what part my drinking played in all of the other things that have gone on in our relationship, but I do know that my spouse bears some responsibility for his actions.

For me, I need to take the time right now and fully immerse myself in my own recovery. It took years to get my marriage so messed up. I can put aside whatever time I need to make myself well and then decide if the relationship is worth saving. -Just my insight based on what I am going through at the moment. You are not alone in questioning your relationship.

Best to you.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too questioned every relationship I had, and I'm still doing it now.

However I didn't make any outward changes in my relationships for several months, first I focused on ME and being sober, but I also watched my relationships very closely and what was going on in them.

You'll be amazed at how much more clear headed you will become each week. When I felt stronger (I'm gonna say eight months in) I started to call boundaries or whatever needed to be done with others.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to this, too.

Things kind of reached a head this past week with my boyfriend. While my problems started before he entered the picture, he hasn't helped matters. It's only been a couple of days, but the response he's given me thus far has not been positive. He doesn't think he has a problem himself, while I beg to differ. Who knows what this will bring. He's a smart guy, but he's been mired in this lifestyle of his for a long time. At this point he won't even consider visiting a counselor to talk about how to deal with me. I think he's scared he'll get told he may want to curb his drinking. I can't make him change his mind, but I'm trying to show him why it's harming me. Maybe it'll clue in at some point. Maybe it won't. Either way, I can't keep going the same way because it's causing too much damage.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

We go through many changes in early sobriety.

Give time time and see what happens and how you feel.

Stay strong and stay stopped!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My partner left and I stopped drinking. He says we needed space, time etc. truth is we both know I wouldn't have done this if he was here. He thinks his drinking is fine. Probably Bc he's not getting black out drunk a few times a week like me. He is however drinking everyday, going to the pub instead of coming home, drinking to the point of ending up in police cells for the night , being so drunk he can boot me across a room. So I disagree I think he does have a problem and I'm sure he knew he wasn't going to stop drinking to help me. I don't think he will want to be with a non drinking me , even though he says that's what he wants , Bc he would have to address his own use too.
So , even though it hurts like hell , even though we are now broke , our exciting cruise holiday has been cancelled , I guess he did me a favour.
I don't know if that helps at all ! Felt good to get it off my chest though !
All I know is I feel better than I did when he was here and I was drinking.
That's all I can grab hold of right now. And that will have to be enough. Best of luck x
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I questioned everything in the first weeks and months of my recovery.

At my bottom, most of what I believed about myself had fallen away. Everything was looked at through a different perspective.

Focus on your recovery and be patient and see what happens.
Good advise
Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fitness1234 View Post
Hello All,

I felt exact same ! Yesterday got some great advise we have been really sick just recover first good luck x
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I changed a lot in those early days - sometimes day to day, fitness.

My advice is focus on yourself and your recovery for now - when you're sure who sober you is, then you can start to look at your life and the folks around you

D