Notices

How do face to face groups help your sobriety?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
now's the time

How do face to face groups help your sobriety?

Hi all,

I'm going to my first F2F meeting in about an hour and I am nervous.

Outside of the specifics of whichever program you use, what benefits you the most from going to F2F meetings? Help me talk myself into this! Part of me is saying "whatever, I can always go online for support"... But I know I should probably go and check it out.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantail... I'm no expert. As I just started going to meetings last week. it's allowed me to vent some emotion...

I love SR... But having someone hug me Wednesday night & tell me that despite all I've given away because of my drinking that I've found a home... Well, that was just powerful stuff for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi Fantail, I just posted to you and Jazz in secular section. I started that same meeting 3 weeks ago. And I say to you - "GO". I too was nervous, but these meetings are very relaxed. The meetings consist of each person discussing their last week and how it went for them (concerns/triggers etc) and people help each other out, giving advice from their past experience. Its not intimidating at all. In fact its quite refreshing to be able to talk with like minded people. I am not normally comfortable with talking about this problem, but find it very comfortable at these meetings. In fact, I look forward to them now, each Tuesday night. Please go and let me know how it went. Best wishes.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

That's just what I needed to hear. Thanks Starbaby & Tammy. Gettin' my game face on. Still scared but I'll let you know how it goes!!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't do meeting but I think most people who like meeting like the feel there not alone with their addiction.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it helps to keep me humble! especially in a small town, if you know what i mean.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh- my first meeting was on Monday... Not last week... What the heck was I thinking!

So- impactful for sure considering I've only been to 4 meetings. My 5th starts in 15 min!

We can do this!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

f2f AA meetings are where i found a group of individuals who share their experince,strength ,and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help other alcoholics(like me) achieve sobriety.
AA meetings for me today are where i go to give freely what has been given to me so others may survive and rediscover life.
sendin ya some courage!!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

In general (not always) I'd say they tend to lift my mood irrelevant of what is talked about, which can be very helpful.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
now's the time

OK, I went! It wasn't a great meeting... it turned out to be a workbook study, which I hadn't realized, and the facilitator wasn't very good at directing the discussion. Also, I was the only woman there and most of the other people were 30+ years older than me, so it was hard to find common ground. But everyone was nice, and I got over my nervousness.

It was funny though... I've read people here talking about crying in meetings and I was like, "I don't feel like crying, I don't understand that." Well I did feel like crying a couple of times! Just saying things out loud is heavy.

So all in all, glad I went. I'm going to check out a discussion group rather than a workbook group next time and hopefully find some place with more ladies.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

You can ask them if they know where the women's meetings are!

The common ground is that we are all in there to save our butts from a dis-ease that wants us dead!

Glad you went!! I know how difficult it is getting to our first meeting!

With hugs & love,
~SB
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
OK, I went! It wasn't a great meeting... it turned out to be a workbook study, which I hadn't realized, and the facilitator wasn't very good at directing the discussion. Also, I was the only woman there and most of the other people were 30+ years older than me, so it was hard to find common ground. But everyone was nice, and I got over my nervousness.

It was funny though... I've read people here talking about crying in meetings and I was like, "I don't feel like crying, I don't understand that." Well I did feel like crying a couple of times! Just saying things out loud is heavy.

So all in all, glad I went. I'm going to check out a discussion group rather than a workbook group next time and hopefully find some place with more ladies.
This happened to me at my first meeting... All men with the exception of very young girls from a local treatment center.

And I have cried & cried in these past 8 days, in & out of meetings. Lol.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The fellowship of AA is a miracle that has survived for over 75 years because of "The Twelve Traditions" (http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/smf-122_en.pdf). I go to AA meetings to help solve my problems, and do not need to be thrown into the storms of conflicts that often accompany clubs and organizations. The Traditions assure a supportive place for recovery no matter what meeting I attend anywhere in the world.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

fantail, you will find magic in those meetings.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would never never been able to do this on my own! EVER! Most can't.
I am grateful for my treatment (although I went reluctantly) I only have 11 days left, and learned alot. I have been going about getting to 2 AA meetings a week, & feel the face to face interaction is calming, & helps me feel accountable.

I would hope experiences the joy of getting & staying sober with other alcoholics.
~peace
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantail. I responded to other post in secular section. Hopefully you find a discussion group as opposed to step group, to suit your needs. Great though, that you got to say things aloud which we cant do comfortably with non alkis.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

It's nice being able to identify with others in a face to face setting.

It's about "fully human interaction."

Enjoy your sober journey!!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Im only on day 2, so I dont have a lot of insight here. But yesterday I went to a meeting, and If I didn't go I probably would have drank.