Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 2 - sexual sobriety as well as sober fro alcohol and prescruption pills

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
awm

Hi everyone my name is Andrew!

! Hope some are familiar with sex addiction - it's all the same addiction is addiction I think - my brain telling me to so things that aren't in my best interest - my brains been suggesting to me all kinds of convoluted ways to re-enter the insanity but trying to staying strong!

Anyone had any experience with sex addiction ?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm an addict. My addiction has crossed into many areas. Cocaine, gambling and sex were the main ones. I never sought specific help for sexual addiction. I attend Narcotics Anonymous and kinda see it as a program that covers all of my vices. If you haven't read it already read a book called 'Out of the shadows'. You can get it on amazon. It's helped me a lot. I practiced abstinence for 9 months just to see if I could. It helped put things in perspective. I'm at work right now but I will send you a message when I get in.

Natom.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
The book Natom referenced is by Patrick Carnes. All his books are excellent.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Andrew

I agree it's all the same addiction, but I definitely found sex easier to give up than beer. I'm going cold turkey until I learn better ways of having healthy relationships etc... Also it's easier to give up everything at once then you don't know what's bothering you most That's what I found anyway. Good luck x
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

We're predominantly a substance abuse board here, but I know you'll find people who've been through similar experiences Andrew

D
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's a book called 'The Brain That Changes Itself' and it has a section on addiction. Research has shown that both substances and behaviours can increase the accumulation of a specific protein in the brain which can eventually cause a genetic change that makes someone an addict- whether the addiction is to alcohol, cocaine, sugar, nicotine, video games, sex, gambling - just about anything.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
awm

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
I'm an addict. My addiction has crossed into many areas. Cocaine, gambling and sex were the main ones. I never sought specific help for sexual addiction. I attend Narcotics Anonymous and kinda see it as a program that covers all of my vices. If you haven't read it already read a book called 'Out of the shadows'. You can get it on amazon. It's helped me a lot. I practiced abstinence for 9 months just to see if I could. It helped put things in perspective. I'm at work right now but I will send you a message when I get in.

Natom.
Hi Tom

Thanks for taking the time to respond - yea basically if it can change my mood - I want more of it - it can be any vice - not so much the substance I guess - I've done NA in the past bit right now my preoccupations are with sex - and going online to find people and all that pathological stuff - but it felt good this morning reading your response just knowing someone was responding ! Yea Patrick Carnes is certainly the sex addiction guru !
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
awm

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome to SR Andrew

I agree it's all the same addiction, but I definitely found sex easier to give up than beer. I'm going cold turkey until I learn better ways of having healthy relationships etc... Also it's easier to give up everything at once then you don't know what's bothering you most That's what I found anyway. Good luck x
Thanks for the supportive words !
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for coming back and checking your thread, awm.

I hope you'll continue to contribute here at SR!