Notices

Work drinks tonight...

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work drinks tonight...

...and I'm really trying to not let it bother me I won't be drinking. Only on day 5 and hoping this gets easier!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Five days is a little soon, in my opinion, to test the waters of social drinking.

Hope you have an exit strategy.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's ok I've done it before so I just have to remember how good it feels walking away sober
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep remembering how crap you will feel in the morning and to be back to day 1. Good luck! Keep strong :-)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

did it on my day 7, just get a water in your hand.....and remember how you feel the next day! Dont worry about not drinking tomorrow, just remind yourself you are not drinking today
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes it does get easier lizella,but it takes a lot longer than 5 days.

I wish you well tonight,have an escape plan if it gets too much for you.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There will be no drinks for you tonight at "Work Drinks" because you won't be going. Go home, watch TV, read a book, whatever. In my experience there's no reason to be anywhere near that pub. It's something you're going to have to give up. Start by giving up tonight and seeing how you feel about it tomorrow? You're not missing anything, I'm sure of it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There is a group "happy hour" from my work too that has been going on for years on Thursday nights as well. I'm 46 days in and I have stopped by a couple times and had a root beer and some food, but it wasn't somethign I would have tried the first couple weeks I don't think. Our group is a bit different as there are more than one attendees that don't drink at all, and the place that they hold it is not a regular bar.

But either way be VERY careful your first week....you may want to just skip it to be safe.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizella View Post
...and I'm really trying to not let it bother me I won't be drinking. Only on day 5 and hoping this gets easier!
Im in Sales for work. There is lunch drinks and dinner drinks, then after dinner drinks. Im on day 5 again and NO way am I starting again, I have spent over a year sober before and caved. It was so disappointing.

On a positive note you will start to feel like a different person after a month. And start kicking butt at work. Its an amazing feeling. First few weeks really suck though. My sneekey little trick was I would order the Rum and Coke and then excuse myself to the rest room and tell the waiter/waitress "Coke and Ice Only". You will not regret it.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Will you feel uncomfortable talking or
laughing with others under the influence
of alcohol/drug? You will be there clean
and clear of any mind altering drugs and
thinking and talking with a clean and clear
mind and heart while they will be on a
different level so to speak.

For me, it is weird talking to someone
who is under the influence. They are not
being their true selves. It will be the drug
within themselves making them act and
say things that would make me feel uncomfortable
hearing or seeing with clearer vision.

Today, i have a choice to not place myself
in uncomfortable or tempting situations. In
doing so, that make long term soberity achievable.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Check your motives. Sometimes we put ourselves in places where there is alcohol because we like to live vicariously through other people's drinking. We may not pick up, but we feel that we are feeding the alcoholism a little by doing so. Day five is little early, as mentioned. Of course, do what you want, but be careful. The initial thrill and high of sobriety can easily be cut down by a single thought or even an offer from a peer or co-worker.

Take care...your sobriety is more important than hanging out with your peeps, at this point in your recovery
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lizella if you really have to go to work pray your higher power to help you. Build a shield and think of tomorrow morning.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I always find it interesting that many new to sobriety feel compelled to be in drinking situations. To each their own but I know I had no business being around alcohol for quite a while and even today drinking situations are not my favorite places to be.

The question I always ask myself is what possible good outcome can their be and weight it again the possible negative outcome. For as long as I am sober there will be always social situations where alcohol is served. There will never be a shortage. For the most part nobody is going to care or remember that I did not show up. The other side is I show up, am tempted by alcohol, feel uncomfortable, and possibly start drinking.

Staying sober is about playing the odds and making good choices. I always ask myself is this choice moving me toward sobriety or away.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Heathen

Why are you going?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on day 16 of sobriety after giving up a year ago and testing the waters off and on. This time around I'm pretty certain that in order for me to move on I have to move on from the normalcy that was my life while drinking. I went out numerous times with friends and didn't drink but it was planting seeds and it conjured up moments of nostalgia that eventually led me to think that I could control my drinking. I could not. I tried to live my life as it was over and over again without drinking this past year to no avail. In my opinion the best part about where I am at right now is that I get to tear down the house I built that was my drinking life and I get to rebuild it again. This time with some life construction experience.

Is it really that important to go out with them after work? Are you afraid you'll miss out on something or you won't feel part of the gang anymore? Do you want to keep some sort of normalcy in your life that you are comfortable with? Basically what is it that makes you want to go? If it wasn't a big deal then you probably wouldn't have posted it in here. Something tells me that you know you shouldn't go.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's my friends birthday so I am going to wish her a happy birthday.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have wished tons of people happy birthday and alcohol was not involved but that is just me
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. I agree its best to stay away, but I could not tell my family and friends not to drink.
Being alone is the worst for addicts. Its easy to just hit up a store and pick more up by yourself and that is even worse.
Go out with your friends. Just dont drink. Leave early too. Dont stay up all night your temptation will grow.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ah, I thought it was a happy hour. Either way. If you feel comfortable then have fun and take care. I have a birthday party I'm invited to this weekend. I will not being attending. I don't fear that I will drink or the party will plant the drinking seed in me. I just see it more as a distraction in my recovery.