Notices

Work drinks tonight...

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Have a good time Lizella, please take care to protect what you have achieved thus far ;-)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
Ah, I thought it was a happy hour. Either way. If you feel comfortable then have fun and take care. I have a birthday party I'm invited to this weekend. I will not being attending. I don't fear that I will drink or the party will plant the drinking seed in me. I just see it more as a distraction in my recovery.
Yea but even watching a movie with people drinking, or a commercial is distracting.
Go out have fun. You will be okay if you stay strong. Once you accoplish that 1 time, it will get easier every time.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If it was my best friend's birthday, my best present to him/her would be to focus on my sobriety. Under a week sober and you're going with her to a bar? Just doesn't make sense.

That said, I brushed off comments like the one I just gave you early in my recovery too. Sorry if I'm coming across as a hard-liner, but staying away from pubs and bars has kept me sober for 7 months...even if it wasn't the root cause, it sure has helped.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

sI wouldn't have dared to go near bar on day 5.Bars are for alcohol imo.

Maybe offer to buy your friend lunch or meet for coffee and cake one afternoon/after work

It does sound as if you've made your decision or are afraid to not go. I hope you are ok but please be cautious-it is just too easy to say yes when everyone around you is drinking and persuading you to join in
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
Yea but even watching a movie with people drinking, or a commercial is distracting.
Go out have fun. You will be okay if you stay strong. Once you accoplish that 1 time, it will get easier every time.
I don't have a bond with people on TV. But I do with my friends and that is the kicker. That's what gets the old memory bank flickering, reminding me of the times when I would drink with them and get all fun and boozy. And then I want to be part of the gang again. At least that's what happened the first time around. And hey, maybe in a time I'll be ready but now, after day 16 only? Nah.

And no offense but "go out, have fun and stay strong, you'll be fine" doesn't sound like the greatest advice to a recently sober individual.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
I don't have a bond with people on TV. But I do with my friends and that is the kicker. That's what gets the old memory bank flickering, reminding me of the times when I would drink with them and get all fun and boozy. And then I want to be part of the gang again. At least that's what happened the first time around. And hey, maybe in a time I'll be ready but now, after day 16 only? Nah.

And no offense but "go out, have fun and stay strong, you'll be fine" doesn't sound like the greatest advice to a recently sober individual.
None taken. I was sober for almost 2 years and hung around all my boozy friends the entire time. It was hard. I Didnt change anything except I just didn't drink and attended tons of therapy.
As I mentioned everyone is different. Staying strong is important, it is also important to still have fun. Personally I would still go, not drink and leave early. But whatever you or anyone feels is best is most important for your sobriety.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I had a great time and wasn't tempted to touch a drop of alcohol! I went, I didn't drink, and I just laughed the whole time
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizella View Post
Thanks everyone. I had a great time and wasn't tempted to touch a drop of alcohol! I went, I didn't drink, and I just laughed the whole time
Amazing. I went to a bar/grill as well. Everyone at the table was drinking but, no drinking for me either. Happy sobriety!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm around fifteen months sober and I really don't get cravings anymore (yay!) but bars and parties never trigger me like being alone with the monster that is my alcoholic mind. I mostly get bored around drunks. I bring my own car if possible so I can always leave early. Congratulations on getting to day six!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Lizella View Post
Good job Lizella...just don't let one success bring your guard down next time. Happy Hour friends can be VERY influential if you aren't careful.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Way to go. You knew you could do it. That is what is important. You are not everyone else, nor are they you. Listen to what each person has to say, take what you need from them, leave what you don't. Everyone has to learn to live sobriety in their own way and time. Most stumble and fall, some move steadily forward. I would only like to add the importance of a Higher Power, at least to me. He will help you get through the times when no one else is there, or willing. Bless you.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Is this happy hours?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Right where you are

I am exactly right where you are. Let's do it together, rather not do it together. HEHE
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

For the alcoholic going to drinking places and affairs without any real necessity to be there is dangerous. To the people who admit they have the disease of alcoholism, who've been diagnosed....then it is quite absurd and irrational...

After a lot of time working the steps and being of service to other recovering people then you are able to rationally decide and act.

It really boils down to acceptance, powerlessness, unmanage-ability....an alcoholic in a bar five days abstinent hasn't grasped the basic concepts of recovery.

If you are a problem drinker and the amount you drink and what you say causes a few problems ...then go for it...