In need

Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In need

Couldn't get to AA meeting so glad this site is here day 5 struggling
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of support here liss - whats going on?

D
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yeah, that first week is a real hurdle. I'm sorry you're struggling.....

Try to remember that cravings don't last forever - they'll come and go, but you'll get stronger each time and it really will get better. Eat some ice cream, take a hot bath, meditate, keep reading SR, watch TV, clean something, or just rest.... you can do it!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There's a lot of support here liss - whats going on?

D
I get lost frustrated angry don't know what to do with myself it's foreign wondering will this ever go away the power behind the drink is so powerful it angers me
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Yeah, that first week is a real hurdle. I'm sorry you're struggling.....

Try to remember that cravings don't last forever - they'll come and go, but you'll get stronger each time and it really will get better. Eat some ice cream, take a hot bath, meditate, keep reading SR, watch TV, clean something, or just rest.... you can do it!
Thank u x I didn't realise how powerful this thing is it has its own life form I hate it
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my forst week of not drinking this board helped me out. Another thing that helped me was just writing lists of things revolving around my desire not to drink - like '5 things i will be able to save money to buy now that i'm not buying alcohol' etc. It's basically just a distraction, but it helped me.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by avocado View Post
my forst week of not drinking this board helped me out. Another thing that helped me was just writing lists of things revolving around my desire not to drink - like '5 things i will be able to save money to buy now that i'm not buying alcohol' etc. It's basically just a distraction, but it helped me.
Thank u get like this this time every day grrrrrrr obviously the addiction wants fuel and I'm not giving it any omg the fight in my brain!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR really helped me through those first few weeks liss - stick around

D
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
SR really helped me through those first few weeks liss - stick around

D
I will dee thank u
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

that first week to 10 days was a weird time for my brain - lots of negative thinking and just trying to fight it to get to a place where i felt like i could move forward instead of dwelling on the past. The good news is that it consistently got easier for me as the days went by and I'm sure it will for you as well. Like I said, try to distract yourself in whtever way works for you. This board will certainly help. I actually started reading through the history just to occupy my mind and pass the time. Hang in there.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

that first week to 10 days was a weird time for my brain - lots of negative thinking and just trying to fight it to get to a place where i felt like i could move forward instead of dwelling on the past. The good news is that it consistently got easier for me as the days went by and I'm sure it will for you as well. Like I said, try to distract yourself in whtever way works for you. This board will certainly help. I actually started reading through the history just to occupy my mind and pass the time. Hang in there.
Need to hear this gives me hope thank you .
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liss74 View Post

Need to hear this gives me hope thank you .
Cause I think I'm going to b like this forever omg lol ahhhhhhh
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i guarantee you won't. the benefits of not drinking start to show themselves in a week to two weeks and by a month sobriety became this 'fun project' i was involved in and still am. Prior to quitting i didn't do a whole lot other than get wasted and go out to get more wasted, sometimes doing idiot things like hard drugs too. Since I've quit, I've written an entire album's worth of songs I'm recording soon, I've eaten sushi about 10 times (more than the entire 2012 probably, and I LOVE sushi), I've been less anxious and less mood swings and I just feel healthier and happier. I am 100% sure that if you get through the initial hurdles the first week or two, you will see similar results.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i guarantee you won't. the benefits of not drinking start to show themselves in a week to two weeks and by a month sobriety became this 'fun project' i was involved in and still am. Prior to quitting i didn't do a whole lot other than get wasted and go out to get more wasted, sometimes doing idiot things like hard drugs too. Since I've quit, I've written an entire album's worth of songs I'm recording soon, I've eaten sushi about 10 times (more than the entire 2012 probably, and I LOVE sushi), I've been less anxious and less mood swings and I just feel healthier and happier. I am 100% sure that if you get through the initial hurdles the first week or two, you will see similar results.
That's amazing good for u makes me happy when humans truly do well know I need to want that for meeeeeee
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy day FIVE!! Something someone suggested to me, to keep my mind off of things is to do some hobbies. What are your hobbies?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
Happy day FIVE!! Something someone suggested to me, to keep my mind off of things is to do some hobbies. What are your hobbies?
Don't know cause drinking took over have to find out what I like
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liss74 View Post
Don't know cause drinking took over have to find out what I like

Hobbies definitely helped me. I was the same way. If I was bored I drank. So I you replace drinking with something it makes it easier. I've been posting on here every time I get bored and can't think of anything else to do And I started doing artsy things like drawing.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
Hobbies definitely helped me. I was the same way. If I was bored I drank. So I you replace drinking with something it makes it easier. I've been posting on here every time I get bored and can't think of anything else to do And I started doing artsy things like drawing.
I agree, But it took me a few weeks to even have clear enough thoughts of what I liked to do sober! I forgot how to watch a comedy movie sober, or play a card game without drink in hand. It is crazy after years of drinking during almost all recreational activities, to remember how to just let loose, have fun & laugh while sober.

Seriously start with simple things like short story books, or even devotional books where you are only committing to 2-3 pages at a time. Or even just a bubble bath & me time.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouRmySunshine View Post

I agree, But it took me a few weeks to even have clear enough thoughts of what I liked to do sober! I forgot how to watch a comedy movie sober, or play a card game without drink in hand. It is crazy after years of drinking during almost all recreational activities, to remember how to just let loose, have fun & laugh while sober.

Seriously start with simple things like short story books, or even devotional books where you are only committing to 2-3 pages at a time. Or even just a bubble bath & me time.
Yeah so true can't even imagine life without drink its been most of my life so don't even know what the hell I like I'm sure I will find out I'm going to have to think feel deal organize find out the real me ? Wow it's massive.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is massive, but everyone lives day by day - just try and take things a day at a time Liss

D