Notices

Day 9 Opiate Withdrawal-Still Ugh!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 9 Opiate Withdrawal-Still Ugh!

Hello all.
I am on day 9 off of a 2 year opiate addiction. This is actually my 2nd time in this horrible hole. 5 years ago I went to treatment for 28 days to get off of a 3 year habit of the same DOC (any opiate will do!). I stayed clean for years but then the back pain from multiple surgeries flared up and the good ol' Army Doctors were more than willing to accomodate with an ever increasing load of my old friend. I thought that "this time I'll keep it under control". Note the addict brain at work here!
Anyway, I've been on here reading and taking advice for the last 8 days and finally decided to say something. Az everyone knows, days 1-5 were literal he11. Then slowly the light started to shine a VERY small amount at a time. Yesterday seemed awesome and I thought I was done. Then today, not so much. Feeling pretty blah. Just hoping to hear some words as I am going this alone. To admit to this would mean an end to my wonderful family and a very long,distinguished military career (24+ years). 10 days ago I was on a 200+mg oxycodone habit. Today I am clean. Never going back!
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mr. Patrick,

Great job on 9 days! I'm on day 8 without opiates (among others), and yes days 2-5 were terrible. Actually, day 6 was not bad at all and then bam, there it was again on day 7. So, yeah, I've had the same thing happen to me (Its coming and going). I also had multiple surgeries which before hand, I had even quit smoking. I was on Oxys, narcos, and hydromorphone for about 6 months (shattered both of my legs in an work accident)and xanax for 2 years. Anyways, I'm with you, my legs hurt like hell but man do I feel better than day 3 or 4. My new outlook on it is that the pain should be worse than the withdrawal for it to be worth it, and its not for me. I found myself sinking into my injury and making a niche for myself to isolate, numb up, and hide. That was dangerous, I was overdoing everything. I would have never gotten through a day if I hadn't been reading these forums and hearing other people's successes. Thanks everyone and good luck Pat.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for coming here to share!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share but I wanted to welcome you Mr Patrick - you're definitely not alone

Do also check out our substance abuse forum:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Day 10! Actually stayed in bed all night for the first time in 10 days. Not to say I didn't wake up a bunch, but I fought thru and got some sleep. Really hoping today will be a little better. Most of the physical symptoms are gone (still sneezing 20 times a day..ugh!). But the head fog remains and the energy has not returned.
Thanks everyone for your kind words! It really helps just to have someone say "good job".
And ladd4, I'm with you. Awesome job getting thru the hard part. I just keep remembering all the stuff I did, and all the fun times I had, when I was NOT in a pill induced fog. Not to mention the agony of, finding, running out, WDind, finding, running out etc. I'm sure you know the cycle! Hang in there.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont have any advice for you, instead Id like to thank you. To know that someone can actually make it 10 days with no opiates after being so addicted finally gives me some hope. recently i thought i had to accept the fact that id been doing this for way to long and there was no such thing as getting clean. i thought id rather die then ever go through the short, but very painful 2,or 3 days without opiates again. its so nice to know theres light at the end of the tunnel. im going to go to sleep hopeful tonight and not scared to death of waking up clean for a change. thank you and god bless
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes..you can.

Thanks for writing bessy. And yes, it can be done. I'm here at day 11 and feeling better all the time. Just keep telling yourself that it will get better, and then BAM, it does! In the early days, do whatever it takes to get thru. Lots of immodium, hot showers, basically just tough thru it. After about 3-4 days the symptoms will slowly begin to subside. You still might feel a little crappy, but it starts getting better. As soon as you feel up to it, get out and take a walk. Talk to someone. Listen to some music. My head was still a little foggy even thru yesterday, but the bright spots of happiness keep hitting me more and more. Then yesterday, It hit me that " Holy Crap, I haven't put a pill in my body in 10 days!! And I'm making it!!" I haven't spent ANY money on drugs!! I didn't sell anything precious to me to support my habit! Those are feelings that cant be replaced by the drug, ever! Hang in there, and I'm here, along with many others to help.

Last edited by MrPatrick; 02-15-2013 at 04:09 AM. Reason: misspelled name.