Notices

Desperately hoping,

Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desperately hoping,

Hello all,

Not sure how many will read this, however, oddly enough, it's breif relief of stress for me for each that might. I'm curretly sitting across from my partner as I type.

I'm a 22 year old female in university, specifically programming and 3D design. Secretly sipping the Vodka and Coke I stashed in my kitchen, such I hid away when my partner had lectures.

I have read through profiles of others recording their 'binge drinking' however in comparison I feel as if, to compare the ammount that I drink, as if I should not be lucky enough to live. In my past I have been an 'abnormality' a 'curious case' and a 'mute', and yet the one time I find myself happy I am still tied to this vice.

I admit I am not cerain as to what posting this will grant me, but a temporary relief, if only for a moment, I am grateful for.

Many, thanks. I wish I could say something more up-beat. x Thanks for the read.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ebony. I'm glad you found us - this is a wonderful place.

I wasn't sure what I was doing when I first logged on here, either. I'd been drinking all my life and I knew it couldn't continue. I finally found the courage to change - and stop the habit that was stealing my happiness and sucking the life out of me.

It doesn't matter that you don't know for sure why you posted - only that you did post and reached out. Hope to hear more from you.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome. Read some of the other forums here, too. Lots of great info on this site.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'm glad you found your way to SR. Drinking large amounts of alcohol secretly is generally a red flag that you have an addiction that you need to deal with. There are lots of roads to recovery, and you can read about them all here. SR is here for you 24/7 and the people are great! Join us and you'll find some peace of mind...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to agree with what FreeFall said, if you are hiding alcohol then you should see that as a sign you have a problem. There are really only two reasons to hide your drinking, the first is shame that you are drinking too much, the second is that someone thinks you drink too much and you don't want them seeing. Neither is a good thing.

If your drinking is making you worried and ashamed then you need to cut back or quit. Try cutting back for a month and see if you can stick to it, if you can't then accept you cannot have one drink and be able to leave it, and so abstinence is your only way forward.

I know it's difficult, especially in university because there is so much drinking going on anyway. Understand that alcoholism really just used to be classified as someone who drinks often, every day or every other day to excess, a chronic alcoholic. Now it's really changed, this category still exists of course but weekend binge drinkers are now also classed as alcoholics in many cases.

Here is the scary part though, regular binge drinkers seem to be more at risk of developing things like liver disease at an earlier age than chronic alcoholics. The statistics for young people developing liver disease in the UK reflect this and it's only going to get worse as this bingeing generation get older.

Quit now and reap the rewards of being sober.