Notices

tiny bubbles at the...meeting?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tiny bubbles at the...meeting?

I am having a rough patch. I am going through all my old paintings for a big sale...stressful mentally revisiting 25 years of work. That led me to say out loud "this is when I need a drink." big sigh...
3 hours later have to go to a work meeting that ends with a birthday celebration with champagne ...me I have plain tap water in my glass. I don't even like champagne. It just made me feel apart from the group. I excused myself to leave. Now I am home and after making myself sick with candy. I am going to make some peppermint tea. I don't want to drink but I feel heavy and discouraged. Most of the time I recognize my feeling better. Right now I just feel sad and bummed.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have any good books around? I often find that distraction is my best option when I'm feeling sad. If it were earlier in the day, I might suggest going for a walk, making up a cleaning to-do list, or cooking a nice dinner from scratch.

Sorry that you are feeling poorly. Be kind and loving to yourself right now. Maybe a bath and some relaxing music?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Auden - lets see I did take the dog for a big walk earlier and you are right I felt better then.

Books, I am reading 6 right now, Games people play by Eric Berne, Seeing is forgetting the of the thing one sees by Robert Irwin, The devil in the white city by Erik Larson, Zen of recovery by Mel Ashand and Hell-bent about Bikram...oh thats only 5. maybe I will read some more about the obsession in competitive yoga, doesn't that seem to defeat the purpose?

I appreciate you thoughtfulness by the way.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quite frankly I think you should be proud of yourself and give yourself a pat on the back. You had the thought "I want a drink" but didn't do it. I think in most circumstances when we have that I want to drink thought, we can tell ourselves you can't go to the liquor store no matter what to avoid a relapse. No liquor means you can't give in. But you were faced with a situation where alcohol was present and it kinda made you the odd one to not drink. It would have been SO easy to give in, but you didn't! I don't know if that's enough to get your spirits up, but you should acknowledge how awesome you were today! lol
Nice work!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm sorry things were tough yesterday. Sadness visited me on and off yesterday too. I stayed very busy, but had some crying spells.

I just let it pass through. It wasn't super fun, but it wasn't horrible either.

Some days are just like that.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Why not do something cherishing and loving for yourself ..
sorry if i sound over anylitical but all i see in you post is work and a binge on chocolates that was ultimately self defeating , one chocolate is nice and can be a treat , several did and will make you sick . So i don't see much self care or nuture in your post .

I keep set leatherwood tasmainian honney in the cupboard , i love it . once a day or once a week i will get a tea-spoon and have one spoon scooped of honney. it is a flowery tase of paradise but i only ever have one spoon of it once in a while . more would just be too much ..

So how about a massage , a sauna afternoon , spa treatment , facial , pedicure , manicure , walk on the beach and look in rock pools , walk along a river or lake , feed some ducks , go look at witch doctor masks in the natural history museum , sit on a hill top looking at the wonder , watch people driving down the freeway and imagine their lives what the're up to and write it up in a little black book ... hope you get an idea ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I do struggle like most of us here with poor self care, task master is more often my choice and not a good one. I will take your suggestions, wow the visual of that honey...yum! A facial, maybe that's what would do the trick. Today's list is getting added too and I feel bouyied by support. SR people are the best . You are right I could have had that drink, but I didn't yes I do deserve some kindness and friendliness towards myself, thanks for that reminder. It's a new day to try new ways . Grateful for that.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pataphor, I'm With mecanix! Manicure or pedicures a lways make me feel better! And yes that honey sounds divine!
I hope today is a better day for you
also, I've been trying to read devil in the white city for probably 3-4 years now and must can't get through it! How are you making out with that book?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
I've been trying to read devil in the white city for probably 3-4 years now and must can't get through it! How are you making out with that book?
Hey ivegotsunshine - Its on the bottom of my pile too! I just am crazy about the subject but have only gotten as far as the first chapter....weird huh, lets see who finishes first!

Last edited by Pataphor; 02-11-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Typos