Should he really be drinking??

Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should he really be drinking??

I broke up with my EXABF 5 months ago, he wasnt an "alcoholic" he was addicted to pain killers (snort/inject) did heroin and coke. I found out about his addiction when he got arrested. Prior to that had no idea. Why bc he LIED a lot and hid it. also I've never done or been around drugs (I'm 30), plus just naive I guess. Looking back signs were there. So, I broke up with him bc of the lies and I don't agree with the choices he made.

I do know that before we dated he would drink alone in his apartment get drunk.. Go to bars alone.. Always talked about his crazy party days. should have been a red flag.
But Now he is in 6 month outpatient rehab and goes to therapy and some NA meetings.

Question for this side of the F&F forum.
I ran into him last week ( we work at same place) saw him after months. it came up in our convo that he drinks but now he leaves early from the bar. I personally think he drank a lot before we dated and probably when I wasn't around him when we were dating. And in our recent talk found out he was hanging out with a friend soon that he used to get high with( this friend smokes pot every day)! im sure they drank.

shouldn't a recovering addict not touch any mind altering substances? alcohol is a depressant the last thing someone who can't deal with their emotions needs is a depressant. I know it's not my problem anymore. He will do his recovery on his own. But can't help to wonder if he's just asking for trouble. I still care of course. I want the best for him.

I would think the same for a recovering alcoholic right? No drugs!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hm. It does not sound like he is in any way "recovering" at all.

But good for you for recognizing it's not your business or problem, and good for you for getting out when you did!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

He lied to you many times before...right? The " I leave early" is in my opinion pure BS. All he has done is switch addictions, very common behavior for addicts. He is either clean and sober or he is not.

It was a good decision to move forward with your life.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

If he is, in fact, going to NA - he knows he is not clean and sober. NA teaches that alcohol is a drug and an addict is anyone who uses a drug including alcohol.

He is a drug addict, he is not in recovery........if his lips are moving, he is lying.