Notices

Completed step one packet

Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Completed step one packet

I finally did it completed step one packet. Now gotta wait to go over it with sponsor. I had to do it quickly otherwise I might have relapsed.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

That's great! What packet are you referring to...? I might have done something similar at hazelden but never officially with a sponsor in AA. We have always done it out of the big book...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Awesome!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never heard of a step 1 packet. There is no requirement to do this. I had a sponsor who wanted to turn me into a writer in working the steps. The only writing requirement is to write your inventory. However if this helped you stay sober then great.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

whats a step one packet ?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

whats a step one packet ?
Perhaps it's something like this? http://www.royy.com/step1.pdf

Just guessing.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This packet thing is a great idea. I never got past step 2 and my sponsors did not believe in working with sponsees until they got to step 4.

I think a lot of people need more than the BB to get through the steps.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I needed no packet for step work
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
This packet thing is a great idea. I never got past step 2 and my sponsors did not believe in working with sponsees until they got to step 4.

I think a lot of people need more than the BB to get through the steps.
How did people get to step 4 without the guidance of sponsor?

People have for 70+ years only needed the big book, why would that be different now? Is it the treatment centers with their booklets and binders and questions and make do work that created this sense that the big book was not enough? The only thing I ask my sponsees to have is the big book, because that is where we do the work and reading from.

But I am not to dismiss anything that a sponsor may tell their protoge. If the OP's sponsor asked her to do a packet then that is what she needs to do.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love the packets they make me think and I really respect and admire my sponsor.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Anoronha)))))

I love the packets they make me think and I really respect and admire my sponsor.
This is MOST important. Since her sponsoring is 'working' for you, please don't
fix it. lol

Just keep using the packets, keep writing, and keep discussing with your sponsor,
then when you have 'finished working' the steps, you will start to learn how to
LIVE the steps 24/7!!!

Your post made my heart smile. Thank you.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never heard of the "packets" before here on SR. While I'm certain they are not necessary, and only saying so for those who aren't inclinded to do them... I love the idea. IMO they can only be helpful.

I was never crazy about the idea of the Big Book being the be all and end all of step work. While I feel it has all the necessary ingredients to set people on their path, the steps go much deeper than the few pages the BB and step book have to offer. That's why I'm a fan of BB and step meetings. Ya get to hear thousands of others share THEIR experience. And we get so much more than the limited experience the founders had to offer. And the experience that the limited amount of space in the books allow.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is there a link to all of the packets? I was able to print off the first one but I would love a link to the next few.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask your sponsor, AngelBabe!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Ask your sponsor, AngelBabe!
My sponsor just told me to write down my responses in a journal for steps 1-4 and also write my feeling of what would happen if I went back to drinking or reasons why I know I can't.

She is only two years in to her sobriety and I think she still has a lot to learn about the available resources. I got step 1 & 4 printed off. Need 2,3 & 5 rat this time.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Paul99--

When I first entered recovery I was always told that you do the first three steps on your own. Until I came onto this site, I had never heard of a sponsor working with a sponsee that early on.

Given that, I think it is very hard to work with the Big Book alone for many people. I know people have done it, but some people (like me) need more help and interaction and guidance.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ya know.... jest thinking over my morning coffee here....

I think a lot of people make this stuff a lot more complicated that it need be. And put undue fear into people regarding "getting it right".

If someone already has a belief in a higher power, then all that's needed before jumping into step 4 is the following. First, a belief that if we pick up a drink, we're sunk; that we're no match for alcohol, and it will win. A recognition that alcohol has (or will) wrecked our lives is also a part of that.

Then we just need to be willing to trust in the guidance of the higher power we already believe in, ask for direction, and start putting one foot in front of the other. Be willing to trust god, trust others, and practice actively turning our life and will over to the care of god. It's a good idea to practice this for a while and get settled into it before jumping into 4, but I'm not so sure pages and pages and weeks and months fumbling about this stuff is all that necessary. Unless of course someone doesn't agree with what I just said about alcohol, and doesn't trust that a higher power can and will help them to be rid of the obsession to drink.

Moving onto the 4th step, if there's any fear or concern then one needs only to revisit step 3 and practice doing so until they can enter 4 fearlessly. The 4th is a good indicator for how succesful we're being with our application of the 3rd.

And if we miss anything in any of these steps, we have the rest of our lives to aim at perfecting them. And ourselves.

Finished my coffee.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post

I was never crazy about the idea of the Big Book being the be all and end all of step work. While I feel it has all the necessary ingredients to set people on their path, the steps go much deeper than the few pages the BB and step book have to offer. That's why I'm a fan of BB and step meetings. Ya get to hear thousands of others share THEIR experience. And we get so much more than the limited experience the founders had to offer. And the experience that the limited amount of space in the books allow.
I too do not think the Big Book is the total answer to explaining/teaching the steps. Frankly, it's incomplete in various spots (e.g., steps 6 and 7) compared to the 12 & 12.

Step meetings and especially the 12 & 12 were crucial in my doing the steps. The 12 &12 has been around for 50 years now. Without that AA textbook, I woudn't have persevered with the steps.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I finally did it completed step one packet. Now gotta wait to go over it with sponsor. I had to do it quickly otherwise I might have relapsed.

Quote=Anoronha

I relapsed

I relapsed yesterday. I had one shot of vodka and was going to drink more but it hurt my stomach badly I felt sick so I stopped. I went to a meeting yesterday. My sponsor also relapsed. So I don't have a sponsor anymore but we are still going to be close friends and get coffee once a week and support each other. I hadn't been to meetings in two weeks. I am dealing with possible change in my life and I just decided to drink felt like I deserved it. So I start over today. I had 10 months which is the longest for me. I felt high for awhile yesterday and the previous day I tried to steal some of my uncles booze and my moms lorazepam pills but I couldn't get away with it. I had been planning for two days on how to get away with drinking. Now the problem is I feel like drinking again today to get that high again. Im going to a meeting tonight. I know I should get a new sponsor but im going to wait awhile because I don't trust anyone else with some of my deep secrets and thoughts. I have a great support system in place friends that I can call if I feel like drinking. I will pray that someone really good comes my way as a sponsor.

~

I am sorry to read you relapsed. We are here for you.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

congratulations
read the step
do the packet
make meetings
you are on your way

fraankie