Notices

had a craving last night

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

had a craving last night

I dont understand it I went to a meeting and didnt isolate but last night i found myself with a craving to get into my dads wine cabinet and have a drink or more. I just waited it out experience has taught me that. I didnt call my sponsor because it was too late at night to call her or anyone. Besides I dont want to bother her because she is with her family till the end of the week. She always tells me to call anytime even in the middle of the night If I need to. But I would never do that unless it was a real emergency. I finished most of step one packet and am going to a meeting tonight. Eventually I fell asleep and I woke up in the middle of the night thinking thank god I didnt drink. I have been keeping busy all day by applying for jobs and doing productive things. Im super glad to be sober.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you stayed sober! And don't be afraid to call. If she told you she'd take your call any time, she meant it. Surviving those cravings was a learning experience for me. Now I know that I can get through them, that I don't have to act impulsively and childishly on every feeling, and that it won't kill me not to drink. A lot of people gave you some good advice in your last thread: working the steps is what brings relief from that obsession. Working the steps is what helps us have that spiritual experience that removes the obsession. Keep on trucking!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

By the way, I've been sober 5 years and am in the middle of Step 9. I had a really out-of-the-blue craving yesterday. It was really vivid, and there were no "triggers". It happens and we live through it. We remember why we want to be sober.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Isn't it great when you don't cave in to those cravings. Good for you.

Love
CaiHong
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Good for not having that drink.

Call your sponsor and tell her that you were afraid to call her when you were in crisis. I can't imagine a more important reason to call your sponsor when you're itching to pour something down your throat. My sponsor told me, and tell my guys "call me in the middle of the night if you need. I may not talk much, but I will definitely be listening". Your sponsor might have a different take on your idea that she doesn't need to be disturbed when she is with family.

It's your sobriety - take advantage of this person in your life who will understand!

I wish you luck in your job hunt
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I just had to take an antabuse pill right now because I am scared I might relapse today. Im picking up my friend and going to my usual meeting tonight. But I was scared I wouldnt make it till tonight so I am doing whatever it takes by downing that antabuse pill. I got it as a PRN from my psychiatrist. I have never used it this is my first time doing this.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was probably not a good idea for me to do I should have talked to my sponsor first. I will tell her later about it. I wasn't thinking at the time.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Antabuse is not an addictive drug and you did the right thing. Antabuse is so you won't drink.

Calling your sponsor or another person in your network would also help.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I recently detoxed and had a craving one night, watched a movie called leaving las vegas as shock value. I highly recommend it, it is the movie that made me want to stop my on going 3 month bender.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
She always tells me to call anytime even in the middle of the night If I need to. But I would never do that unless it was a real emergency.
Do what your sponsor tells you to do. Call her anytime. Your reasons for not calling are just copouts. You never know. She might be having a bad time and really appreciate hearing from you. People have the mistaken idea that sponsors don't have feelings. That because a person is a sponsor, they have it made. Not true! Let your sponsor do the job she agreed to do when she said yes and stop with the phony excuses.

Question: What constitutes an emergency?? Is it when you're sitting on a bar stool, or you have that bottle of wine up to your lips before you call someone? When the feelings come one is when it's time to call, no matter what time it is.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Do what your sponsor tells you to do. Call her anytime. Your reasons for not calling are just copouts. You never know. She might be having a bad time and really appreciate hearing from you. People have the mistaken idea that sponsors don't have feelings. That because a person is a sponsor, they have it made. Not true! Let your sponsor do the job she agreed to do when she said yes and stop with the phony excuses.

Question: What constitutes an emergency?? Is it when you're sitting on a bar stool, or you have that bottle of wine up to your lips before you call someone? When the feelings come one is when it's time to call, no matter what time it is.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ill try and remember that and do it. Im so grateful I made it through yesterday and I will do whatever it takes again today. I went to a meeting last night with my friend.