Notices

afraid 2 post

Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

afraid 2 post

Because I am new here and last time I put my stuff out there, I wasn't really thrilled with a few responses I got. Oh well. Lol. Good thing we have the ignore button. I'm liking this site,but kinda feeling its a little 2 clicky like some meetings I've been 2. I'm afraid 2 put all my stuff out there. Not just big brother,just cause. Holds me bac a lot. Is there an erase button here? I'm totally off line. No facebook 4 me or anythng like that. I value my privacy.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Raja

I find that sometimes people say things that I don't like to hear because it is the truth which I don't want to hear at times I find most people on SR are genuine though,helpful and supportive. l'm with you on Facebook,hate it as I also value my privacy and am a very private person. I don't think FB and SR are comparable-FB is full of people showing off,being narcissistic and pretending they have great life to convince themselves of the fact Whereas people on SR have been in the same place we are at and have empathy,support and understanding. Of course, in any environment there will be people we perhaps clash with-best to use the ignore button then Hope you stick around and start to feel better soon
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am fairly new here too. I'm glad you posted. I hope you keep on posting. If others don't want to know what you have to say they don't need to read your post.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi raja12, i'm also new here.
About privacy, a random username that is not associated with an usually used email-adress is good enough for me.
I'm also kinda paranoic about privacy, but as long as i don't post details about country, city, or other personal stuff i feel safe.
Optionally you could visit SR trough a proxy, if you think your network isn't safe.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Raja

Rest assured that Anna and I (and the rest of the SR forum team)spend a lot of time ensuring that everyone feels safe and welcome here...and that their privacy is safeguarded at all times.

If there's a post you (or anyone) has issues with, always feel free to report it if you think it breaks any rules (using the report button ) or PM me Anna or another mod about it, and we can talk about it

D
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did wince at some of the seemingly flippant remarks on your 'cutting down' thread, however they come from a place of experience. I joined and rejoined as I wasn't ready to quit alcohol. If I don't like answers/responses I get, it is usually because they are spookily correct and true.

We forget how scary taking that first step to giving up is, but I love this place and the warmth, friendship and humour that is offered.

Other people's opinions are not my business

S x

Ps congrats of becoming sober
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's really important to pick a username that, while meaningful to you, has no link to the larger world. That gives you the freedom to post from the heart about whatever you want without fear of it affecting work, family or legal matters. I know I wouldn't feel open if I didn't have anonymity.

Don't be afraid to post! We've all made mistakes in the past and the one thing I can say for certain is that we'll also make them in the future. It's part of being human and alive. The important thing is that we learn from them so as not to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
xuse

I dito whats been said fact is truth hurts I've been there I haven't always liked what people had to say not just me but others post I see .But cold hard facts are just that I know I tend to hate when someone calls me out or tells me things I don't want to admit or face .I don't think no one really wants to offend anyone . I know everyone's diffrent but for me SR helped me get six months of sanity and self hope and has got me a good start this time I know its gonna take for work .And I know I will have to hear and admit things I don't want to .I don't know your story but if your like me so many stories here is like looking in a mirror in a way .Its scary but comfortable to no your not alone and people share my tendencies and sick disease I hope that you get more comfortable posting and stick around and remember people are diffrent its hard to like everybody.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please keep posting. As in life, there will always be people whose opinion is different than yours.
I can learn from those too.

Keep coming back

gigi
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've felt the way you describe.

In recovery I am learning that feelings are not reality but they DO inform me of my relationship to reality.

I learn a lot about myself by my reactions to the things other people post here.

I'm sure there are people who don't like things I post or share. It's the nature of the game.

sometimes I get my nose bent out of shape because it feels like some people get special attention. I don't know if they do or not, but I can see where my tender parts are when I feel that way.

this place is like a recovery super market. I go in and get what I need, and that doesn't mean that I never "buy" things that aren't expecially fun or comforting, because heck, I have to buy things at the market I'd rather not, like oven cleaner, tampons, and cold medicine. There are brands I don't fancy and I pass by them, etc etc.

I get what I need, some of what I want, and sometimes special treats for myself.

All I can say for people who rag on SR...and I am NOT saying that is what you are doing, is...well, you can always shop someplace else if you really can't find what you need here.