Notices

DT's

Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DT's

My dad stopped drinking Jan 14, 2013 after 40 yrs of being an alcoholic. He has been drinking almost a gallon of whiskey weekly for the last yr. We went to family doctor after a follow up from an ER visit. I asked the family doctor about his alcohol withdrawal and what we could do for him. He mentioned benzos and didn't tell me this should be done in a medical setting. Long story short, my dad started being confused and hallucinating. After the hallucinations did not get better, I took him back to the ER. My dad had a heart attack along with more severe DT'S. He has been intubated since Jan. 20. They are having the hardest time extubating him due to further agitation, pneumonia, and delirium. Now he has a blood infection and fever of 102. I just see no end to this. I have prayed my whole life that my dad would stop drinking. I never imagined it would be like this. I feel desperate and helpless. I am looking for insight from anyone who had gone thru this. What will I need to do for him once he makes it out of CCU?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience only prayers for your peace and may God give you wisdom to know what to do.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Never say never...

I'm sorry Megan...I hope your dad makes a full recovery, soon! Sending my good thoughts out to you and your family.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Megan. This is such a sad story. Please remember to take care of yourself, too.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm so sorry

I"m curious to know why they didn't detox him when he originally went into the ER?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im so sorry, I tried to stop on my own many times too, after many years of almost daily drinking. The DT's, sickness, Im glad I never had seizures, but they said it was a very real possibility if I tried on my own which is why I checked myself in the hospital to be put on Librium and eventually a Lib taper while in an inpatient monitor setting. It took about 8 days to actually start to feel like a could form a thought, I know it sounds weird. I will keep him in my prayers & Pray the Dr's will help him make a safe recovery, It will take time, but slower, safer, and under a Dr's care is the very best way. Peace.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They basically treated him like trash and sent him on his way. No one took us seriously until the SECONDER visit when he was in full blown DTs.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're in this situation, and I hope he's getting the care he needs now! As to what to do for him when he gets out, I'm not sure that there is much you can do for him. He's going to have to want recovery for himself and find and commit to a path so he can stay sober. I've personally never supported an alcoholic, but there is a lot of good support in the Friends and Family section. There should be a lot of people there who have gone through what you're going through.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Keep those prayers going and I will add to mine for you Megan. :ghug3

I wound up in the ICU with "wet brain" from detox. So I can relate a little to what he is going thru. His is much more serious but I can relate.

I am in Cleveland and am a proud member of AA, and if you would like you can contact me to help him get working in the program.. I will see who or my sponsor knows down in deleware and if I can be of service to him, I will be honored to do so..

I am out of town right now, and will be home monday. But I will try to do what I can from here. Prayer is our most powerful tool IMO, so I will pray for him and your family...
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thoughts are with you.
hopefully this will be his rock bottom.
my best freind went thru this as well and recovered fully but with a resolve that that would NEVER happen again. daily meetings saved his life after that.
i think we are treated like that because we do it to ourselves. They really could be helping someone else. This last time i went in to the hospital i made a resolve to never waste there time again
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation Megan - prayers to you and your father and all your family.

D