Notices

Emptied the Mini-Bar

Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emptied the Mini-Bar

I am traveling on business and have not drank alcohol. There were two bottles of Fiji water in the mini-bar and I drank them both after runs. Crazy how much alcohol they put in there, plus a pint of Belvedere and two bottles of wine in the room. Nope, not even a second thought. I have been working out, getting plenty of rest and not even letting my mind go there.

I now have two full weeks under my belt. I'm on Day 15.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know melber, that's how my last relapse started, with a mini-bar in the hotel room. Ugh, I didn't finish it off though, but I did go out and get ANOTHER bottle of wine. I'm glad you're on day 15, hope you're feeling better.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Probably saving a fortune too.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mini bars were my nemesis on travel. Good for you!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pkrma View Post
Oh yes. I would always spend more per night on emptying the alcohol out of there, as well as related drinking, than I would on my room.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is a crazy amount of temptation in one room! Kudos to you! Nicely done!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You passed that test!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pkrma View Post
When I even glance in the general direction of the mini bar I can literally feel my credit card melting.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Next time you make a reservation you might call the hotel and ask them to put only non-alcoholic beverages in the minibar. (Those are overpriced, too, but cheap compared to the consequences of drinking after a long day of travel, boring meetings, or spilling something all over the only shirt you brought!)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Most hotels will also remove the items if requested. I try to book hotels without rooms with those darn things.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

minibar

Hi Melb. Your post makes me remember, with shame, the night I finished off a minibar in Frankfurt, Germany. I was traveling also, and felt like I had a natural pass on life. After a couple of hours in a huge bar with an enormous number of die-hard (and very drunk) soccer fans, I proceeded to go to my room and continue the party alone (of course most of my parties are held alone). Needless to say, I did not stop with the Fiji water. My BigBrain ambushed me again. Today I'm working Day18 and hoping I can muster your resolve. Good luck to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

When I went on my last vacation and stayed in a hotel I was shocked to see a loaded mini bar in the room, I too was able to say NOPE and didn't touch a drop. Also after that first glance I didn't give the mini bar another obsessive thought the whole 5 days I was there. I feel your accomplishment, melber! It feels GREAT doesnt it?!

Congrats on 15 days! Well done!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I saw the title of your post my first thought was "O my God, how much did that cost?"

Glad to hear it was only bottled water (at probably $6.00 a bottle).
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks for the nice comments. yes, not drinking is making my boring meetings today much more tolerable. To give some background, I was at the same hotel three years ago and had to teach an 8 hour class. I drank so much the night before that I kept a buzz all day just to avoid the shakes. This time I have been working out, eating healthy and sleeping. Yes, sleeping. Wow, what a concept. Rest on a work trip. I like the comment on thinking that when you travel you felt like you were getting a "Pass on Life." I felt the same way. Crazy how we think sometimes.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've never been in the tax bracket to stay in a place with a mini bar. I'd just go out to a convenience store or a supermarket and come back to the motel, mind my own business, and keep the volume on the TV down. I may be an alkie, but I'm frugal and have no desire to kick up sparks.

I'm sure the mini bar has been the downfall of many people. You know that the establishment is trying to take you any way they can and twice on Sunday.

It reminds me of the Alice Cooper song "Go to Hell":

"You'd poison a blind man's dog and steal his cane
You'd gift wrap a leper
And mail him to your Aunt Jane (this line sung in a Paul Lynde voice)
You'd even force-feed a diabetic a candy cane
You can go to Hell
You're something that never should have happened
You even make your Grandma sick"
Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I travel often for work - and have passed the mini bar test on a few occasions now! Yay!

Some people here might remember me saying that I actually YELLED at it last time, out loud, to leave me alone. It was freeing - and I just say I didn't think twice about it again after my initial anger at its humming taunt.

One other note - I considered asking for mini bar free rooms when I got sober but I also like having the non-alcohol items available in case I don't have time for a store run during my work schedule. Water and sodas from the mini were appreciated last trip becaus I had a super early meeting and not enough time to get anything before I showered and put on the suit. So...now I just yell at them if they taunt me! LOL!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I cringe at the thought of how much money I have spent while at conferences for work, as well as when I have been on vacation. Good for you for avoiding the temptation of the mini bar and the wine. Enjoy the rest of your time!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your post title is so misleading...very clever Congratulations on staying strong. I'm on day 18 myself and am finding that it's getting a bit easier as I've incorporated lots of exercise and water as well. Feels fantastic, doesn't it
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I know hotels will take the items out if you ask them to. Or put you in a room that's already set up that way. Really easy and no big deal. Just puts another step in between you and a spur of the moment overwhelming temptation! Good thinking on your part, though!