Notices

Never Drink Again?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never Drink Again?

I hear people say they will never drink again, I can not say that. I can not bring myself to say, "I will never drink again".

I have discussed this at meetings, and have had a few people agree with me, they can not say it either. I usually say, " I will not drink today. I may drink tomorrow, next week, next month or next year, but I will not drink today". I wake up every day and tell myself, "I will not drink today". This is what they mean by one day at a time.

Alcohol was such a large part of my life for so long. I drank for 30 years, and I am only 46 with two years of sobriety. Having a sober life is still new to me, and it is such a great life, and I do not want to go back to the old life.

The whole one day at a time philosophy makes it much easier for me to deal with my alcoholism. I do not worry about whether or not I will drink next weekend or even tomorrow, who knows what will happen. I do know I will not drink today.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I love your post! I can't say never either. I just say I won't drink today.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Plus it takes that pressure off, and you can stay sober a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time that way.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm a "never drink again" kind of person.. I have said it many times. For some reason, when I first entered recovery the "one day at a time" felt like dangling a carrot in front of me, it actually helped me and provided a sense of relief or freedom to start thinking in terms of never. We all experience this differently, I can see both sides to it for sure.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
The use of "never" is indeed a whole different way of thinking than ODAAT. For some it is only in the 'never again' mindset that they find a calm freedom. I am one.

different strokes...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'll never drink...one day at a time!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never drinking again TODAY! That's for damn sure!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Never drink again" was a gradual thing for me. I couldn't imagine "never".

But when that moment did come...I was just soooooo ok with it.

Like you said Soberlicious, it really was a calm freedom for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will never drink again and with that acceptance came freedom.

Whatever works is good in my books.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am also one of the 'never again'. Why? Because I want to live a life of reality. Booze is just a temporary escape from reality.

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
The use of "never" is indeed a whole different way of thinking than ODAAT. For some it is only in the 'never again' mindset that they find a calm freedom. I am one.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in the ODAAT category.

Fascinating, really, how different things work for different people.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could not day never at the beginning - it seemed to immense to me...so I committed to not drinking daily...then I'd back up again tomorrow...

eventually forever ceased to be daunting because I was living a sober life and I had (and have) no desire to quit doing that

D
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The treatment center I went to, 18 years ago was based on the 12 steps so that's all I knew. I was told, from the beginning "one day at a time" something I questioned from the very beginning yet I was continually told "you only have today" and eventually I believed it.

I became dependent on "not drinking, one day at a time" instead of living a life of recovery. For 8 years "trudged the road of happy destiny". Eventually I couldn't live that way, fearing I only had today.

I stopped attending AA and although it was a great decision for me, that "one day at a time" kept me in fear. 5 years away from AA and my fear took over, something I now know was my AV. I drank and I drank for another 5 years, every day I was alone. And, I drank a lot.

When I came to SR, posters shared about permanent abstinence AND it was then I had my AHA!!! moment. Something shifted in me. I truly felt a mind shift. I don't ever have to drink again I don't ever have to change my mind!!! HOW INCREDIBLE. So, I read up on RR/AVRT and there it was, the truth I had been missing, FOR ME:

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

I can't describe the mind shift that occurred. It's as if all of me shifted at that moment. I felt a peace I hadn't known in all the days of my sobriety. No fear, independent and living a life recovered from alcohol. Freedom.

It is knowing I am recovered that has brought such peace. It was the answer, the truth, for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very cool Received! Great story!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I needed to keep the idea of drinking as a safety net for my entire first year sober. If the panic and anxiety got bad enough, I told myself I would drink again - but I'd wait until tomorrow. It worked, and kept me sober long enough to get to a point where I really don't think much about this. Only here. I don't drink. Period. Can't say for sure that I'll never drink again, because I can't predict the future, but I have no desire and no intention to.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I never drink in the present moment. And it is always the present moment. Works for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Not today maybe tomorrow has stood me well for 6 months. At the beginning I couldn't even imagine never. Now never seems possible.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I remember going through AVRT the second day I found this place. The power of "never" really impressed my mind. I would say it out loud. I could feel authority. I still say it out loud. I still went through a hell of a detox but I have not had a drop of alcohol since.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm a 'never' person too. odaat, for me, would just make me think I could/would drink again. Closure,calmness,acceptance with never. Whatever works is great,no matter which concept they use.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I use odaat. It works for me. Saying never scares the crap out of me. But I can see how it appeals to people.

Natom.