Notices

5 Months and changes

Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Months and changes

I recently got my 5 month coin I'm finding that my life is changing in ways I could not have anticipated the first day I walked into AA.

I was feeling uncomfortable last week...I'm spread thin with two toddlers, a full-time job that requires bringing work home, two large dogs, recovery. I felt like I can't do my best at anything. Then I realized that, for the first time in my life, I'm living in a BALANCED way. I'm not neglecting any area of my life to immerse myself in one area. It's uncomfortable because it is new, but it's a good feeling.

I also find that I have a desire to take care of things in a way I never have before. I'm trying to get rid of some debt. I have a plan in place to take care of nagging health issues (I have autoimmune illnesses), including gall bladder surgery this week coming up and other testing.

As for the surgery....I had an urge to drink the other day, I think out of anxiety. I sat on it, talked about it, and it passed. The next day, my husband asked me if I were ok. I replied that I was happy - I was having a good morning - I didn't get lost, pre surgical testing went well, I found a new short cut to the grocery store - little things that I appreciated. He was shocked. While I am nervous about the surgery, the fear of it isn't ruling my life. He pointed out that this is the sort of situation I would have drank over. I replied that drinking over it would be an excuse...I could always find an excuse to drink, but they are all just poor excuses. He was really proud of me and told me he's noticed how differently I handle life now - I do what I need to do and I'm pretty calm about it.

I'm really grateful for AA and, though I've been too busy to post on these boards much, the support I have found here. Most of all, I am grateful that I have a higher power of my understanding. I don't run the world, I don't control anything...it's THY will, not my will.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 5months sobriety keltic.

Thankyou for sharing where you are on your recovery journey,fantastic.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay calm and carry on....one day at a time. God Bless....
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excuses

I replied that drinking over it would be an excuse...I could always find an excuse to drink, but they are all just poor excuses.

Welcome :-)

For every excuse that I can come up with to drink is an opportunity to choose not to drink.

We are not powerless when we make a conscious choice.

Never be afraid to ask for help when you find yourself in that place where you are wanting to drink.

And most importantly love yourself for who you are, remain grateful and help others.

If you're having a crappy day find someone else to help and don't tell anyone that leaves the ego out.

It's all about being of service :-)

Love

CS
Old 01-19-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months. I really loved what you wrote.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Sounds like you are on a positive road. Congrats on 5 months!