OT Work question

Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Question OT Work question

Sorry to keep posting unrelated stuff

So I was in this meeting with a huge manager and he asked me what I thought about our team's documentation.

Reality: it sucks, its outdated and my manager offers no help. My coworkers watch videos 80% of the time they spend in the office. We are in IT so I know my coworkers prefer to troubleshoot and solve problems, documentation is seen as boring and it requires less skill, so they ignore it.

I have had some gut feelings about stuff they leave to me and I have felt as a secretary passing messages and doing the work others won't do, that takes a lot of more time and is not as "interesting".

But all of the characters were at the same meeting.

I got a mental conflict and did not know what to answer. "It's fine" would have been a lie. I am not good at lying.

So there was just a weird silence and the meeting moved on.

Shall I "let it pass"? I kind of feel I lost face and perhaps the others thought I did not understand the question.

I hate office politics.

Any advice is welcome...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could you ask for a private meeting?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I don't think I can. This huge manager is on our customer's side. He is not part of the company I work for. He is the manager of the manager of the manager, a VIP...

I talked to one of my nice coworkers and he said this manager is approachable though and has heard internal stuff from other people with a good attitude.

Maybe I just email him...?

I am not sure as I would be opening a can of worms.

My own manager is leaving soon for India and we are not sure he will come back to work with this team. My coworker things he no longer matters and I can be honest with the client & explain the reason I hesitated.

Ugh.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
I don't think I can. This huge manager is on our customer's side. He is not part of the company I work for.

I talked to one of my nice coworkers and he said this manager is approachable though and has heard internal stuff from other people with a good attitude.

Maybe I just email him...?

I am not sure as I would be opening a can of worms.

My own manager is leaving soon for India and we are not sure he will come back to work with this team. My coworker things he no longer matters and I can be honest with the client & explain the reason I hesitated.

Ugh.
Why do you think you were the one asked the question?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I think I will just send the email & mention documentation is not updated and that it is one of the tasks ALL my team has pending. Then tell my team lead what I see needs to be updated. And then see it is shared and not only myself works on it....

I am just a pawn for the VIP, but I do not want to go home with this sensation...

I kind of also got shy at the time of talking, this is an important bank and then surrounded by VIP managers, it was not only him...

I hate it when I feel like a scared kid in adult life and wonder if everyone is that way or if its only me and my issues.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perhaps you were asked because you are trusted.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

No Aems, it was not that, lol. We were just meeting this VIP as a team as most of us are new members. He was trying to do some 'small talk'...

I decided to send him a respectful quick note, I am just a pawn for him LOL, its not that it is the end of the world. Just to change my pattern of making a mistake and then shutting up and feeling bad about myself & inadequate...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ok I sent the note.

Hello Y,

Sorry for my hesitation today about your documentation question.

Honestly, I do not think that is a strong area in the team. Some of it has not been updated for a long time or is non-existant.

But I know this item will flow better from now on & will certainly won´t go unnoticed, as this helps us do our job better.

Regards,
Tc999
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Whew!

I think my only 'strategy' for this year RE codependency is

"Do something differently than you would normally do"

Thanks. It helped me to share and now I feel better.