Notices

Need to hear experiences on getting over the initial hump.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Need to hear experiences on getting over the initial hump.

I am struggling to get traction in sobriety. I manage 1 or 2 days, but then right back to drinking. In my periods of sobriety before, this was always the trickiest part, because my body is just screaming for some alcohol. So, I am asking for people's experience in how they managed to get through the initial hump of the first few days of sobriety. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yeah ya'll let's hear the ideas. AND IN A HURRY, pronto haha

day 1 at 3 in the afternoon for me. I'd be hammered by now, but I am just fidgety as all get out, light sweat all over, and a running brain!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I went to a very affordable detox / crisis respite program. Their philosophy is that it is better to help people before they hurt themselves and wind up in the hospital (the latter is often a great expense to society).

It was built as part of a new jail, so the food was not great and there was no privacy. I received adequate medical attention and counseling.

The most important thing was being with other desperate addicts and alcoholics. I also learned that fellowship would be the key to sustained sobriety.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Go to an AA meeting if at all possible. You don't have to talk just listening helps.

I would tell myself "don't need a drink right now" over and over again, got thru a minute at a time if I had to. Your addictive side is telling you you need it. Do you have the blue book from AA. I found reading peoples stories helped too.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My six months + is made of individual days.

I never have to have a day one again and neither do you, but you have to be willing to make changes where necessary and reach out for support.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I spent a lot of time on SR.
This technique was also useful to me

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Basically I accepted I would be uncomfortable for a while...early recovery is really hard. The more support you have, the better off you are I think...

It does get better...but you need to go through the woods first

D
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eat a little something every few hours, treat yourself to your favorite desserts, drink a lot of juice, go easy on the coffee, make the calls and speak to the people you care for but haven't kept up with, visit your local library or vid rental store for some light reading/viewing, catch up on the chores, locate and consider attending some kind of recovery group, donate your discarded clothing and kitchen items, journal your feelings, mend lost buttons, cook a semi-challenging dish and share it with someone if possible.

By then you'll be 72 hours sober or more and some say that's as physically sober as you'll ever get. Find some recovery program to plug into to address the strangeness and the difficulties of being always in the real world. Breathe in and out as needed until you stop.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I spent a lot of time on SR.
This technique was also useful to me

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Basically I accepted I would be uncomfortable for a while...early recovery is really hard. The more support you have, the better off you are I think...

It does get better...but you need to go through the woods first

D
Thanks, Dee. I think I need to dust off my meditation pillow. I have also been considering getting to an AA meeting tonight.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I have also been considering getting to an AA meeting tonight.
Atheist, environmental scientist me is going to kneel down and say a prayer for you. Be right back...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Atheist, environmental scientist me is going to kneel down and say a prayer for you. Be right back...
Atheist, alcoholic me thanks you.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

...there, I got down on the beautiful rug we got in the little studio when we first moved here. I centered myself, and sent healing thoughts your way.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
...there, I got down on the beautiful rug we got in the little studio when we first moved here. I centered myself, and sent healing thoughts your way.
Thanks. I looked up the article in your signature and read it, quite interesting. I need to find ways to simulate my pre-frontal cortex.