Notices

Day 1

Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I posted a couple weeks ago about my plan to quit drinking. I set a date of January 1. It sounded like a SPLENDID plan at the time. January 1 arrived, I panicked, and I did the exact opposite. I've spent the past eight days coming up with excuses as to why "today is not the day...I'll do it tomorrow."

Today is the day. I got home from the gym at 6:30 and by 7:00 I was thinking, "Maybe I should put this off just one more day." NO. I went to my martial arts class. Got home at 9:30. I've spent the past couple hours surfing the internet and feeling like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. I can feel a night of insomnia coming on for sure. But I'm finally taking action. FINALLY...after literally 3 years of putting this off (and 5 years of daily drinking).

I made a list of reasons to stop drinking, and a list of reasons to continue drinking. The contrast is pretty stark. Making the lists helped. My list of reasons to stop drinking is 10 items long, and I'll keep adding to it. My list of reasons to continue drinking is 3 items long: it's comforting (until the next day, when I have intense anxiety regarding what I said or did while drinking), it's the routine (the routine can change), and it's easier (except it isn't - hence having at least 10 reasons to stop).

One day down. Lots to go.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for starting to sober drinking. Maybe it's a good time to get your blood work done from your doctor to make sure you didn't get any damage from you're drinking. :-)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Dani,

I would second what Action is saying. Going to the doctors if you feel you have to. You're probably going to feel rough for the first few days. There's not much you can do to get around this. Take vitamins, drink plenty of water and eat healthily and you will begin to feel better. You only have to take it one day at a time though.

Natom.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again Dani - glad you've taken the plunge now

D
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Dani! u can do it!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done Dani. Have you got local support if you need it? I think many of us found it difficult at the start. I kept a journal and that was really useful to see how it got easier and how my mood lifted (especially 1-4 months after I stopped drinking).
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all

I really appreciate the support and kind words. This is gonna be rough. I took some melatonin and Benadryl before bed, and fell off to sleep around 1am. I'm now wide awake at 2:45. Ugh. Getting up at 6:30 isn't going to be fun. This helps to steel my resolve, though - I want to sleep through the night, sober! It has to happen eventually as long as I stick with it,

The blood work is a great suggestion. Luckily I've had a ton of blood work done lately due to thyroid issues and then a viral infection. So I know everything is fine at the moment. At least I have that much going for me!

I don't have local support, but I like the idea of journaling. Writing in general really helps me, and journaling would give me a way of tracking my progress. I will try it.

Time to go back to bed and...well...probably just lay there awake. One night down. Lots to go.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As expected, I tossed and turned the majority of the night. Lots of bad dreams. But, I got right up with my alarm at 6:30 instead of snoozing it over and over, or worse yet, shutting it off entirely and then sleeping till noon. When I got up, I knew that I didn't have to check my Facebook to see if I'd said anything stupid, I knew I wouldn't have any mysterious surprise injuries, I knew I wouldn't find a huge mess in the kitchen, and I knew I wouldn't regret downing a huge, half-remembered meal late last night. I feel tired, but not really any more tired than I do after a "sound" alcohol-induced sleep that lasts ten hours or more.

So it was a rough night, but getting up this morning was rewarding. I'm proud of myself. On to Day 2!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep us posted on how day 2 is going.

Day 10 here and finally feeling the obsessive thoughts about drinking subsiding. Now it's just tackling the valium taper.

Keep going!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 1

hang in there , google Audio big book online from recovery zone. Will be helpful to pass time too.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaniLeigh View Post
As expected, I tossed and turned the majority of the night. Lots of bad dreams. But, I got right up with my alarm at 6:30 instead of snoozing it over and over, or worse yet, shutting it off entirely and then sleeping till noon. When I got up, I knew that I didn't have to check my Facebook to see if I'd said anything stupid, I knew I wouldn't have any mysterious surprise injuries, I knew I wouldn't find a huge mess in the kitchen, and I knew I wouldn't regret downing a huge, half-remembered meal late last night. I feel tired, but not really any more tired than I do after a "sound" alcohol-induced sleep that lasts ten hours or more.

So it was a rough night, but getting up this morning was rewarding. I'm proud of myself. On to Day 2!
Nice Dani! I am on day 2 as well. I've been a daily drinker for about 3 years and last night the anxiety was the worst. I'm also going through some other personal self issues but I just wanted to say I'm right there with you, my will power is pretty strong, and I wish you only the best!

Its nice waking up for work not hungover, its nice not finding mysterious bruises, and its nice knowing that your on the right path. I'm planning to start running/doing this bodyrock.tv 30 day challenge to help keep my mind off of the drinking. I already started a healthier diet this week, and I'm sure the calories I'm saving from all the sailor jerry will be a huge plus. Excited for things to come...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today is day 45 for me. I could so relate to how great it is to wake up for work not hung over and wondering how I kept getting so many bruises! I found that the anxiety did taper off. Generally the withdrawal from alcohol/drug is the opposite of what it did for us when we were using it. As alcohol eventually numbed me out; the withdrawal created huge anxiety mentally and physically. I am pretty much over that phase now.

I thought the weight would just fall off but the reality is that I've picked up a sweet tooth I didn't know I had until I stopped drinking but I did learn that that is pretty common as I was so used to jacking my blood sugar up there with the amount of wine that I was drinking. I'm trying to back off on the ice cream

You and Dani are doing a great job!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post

I thought the weight would just fall off but the reality is that I've picked up a sweet tooth I didn't know I had until I stopped drinking but I did learn that that is pretty common as I was so used to jacking my blood sugar up there with the amount of wine that I was drinking. I'm trying to back off on the ice cream

THANK YOU for the warning! I'm trying to stay good as well, and congrats on your journey
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Today is day 45 for me. I could so relate to how great it is to wake up for work not hung over and wondering how I kept getting so many bruises! I found that the anxiety did taper off. Generally the withdrawal from alcohol/drug is the opposite of what it did for us when we were using it. As alcohol eventually numbed me out; the withdrawal created huge anxiety mentally and physically. I am pretty much over that phase now.

Thank you for the encouragement - and agreed with Amandy, thanks for the warning! I'm also hoping to lose weight. I'm a good 20-25 pounds heavier than I was before I started drinking 5 years ago, and I gained 15 of those pounds in the past 2.5 years. I don't keep any sweets in the house so hopefully that will help.

It's good to hear from someone who is feeling so much better at Day 45. I remind myself that 45 days is the blink of an eye in comparison to how long I've been drinking. I look forward to my own Day 45.