Notices

Can't believe I've got 6 months!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't believe I've got 6 months!

Hello SR friends

Today marks 26 weeks or 6 months sober for me and I am very proud of myself. I won't pretend it has been easy for a minute and the old adage of sobriety being like a rollercoaster is very accurate. Over the past 6 months I have had periods of feeling great followed by days of feeling awful which is very frustrating particularly when you have 5 months under your belt.

During the periods where I really struggled with my sobriety I would look for an instant 'pick me up' and eat all kinds of unhealthy food to try and improve my mood. I gained around 10 kg despite not drinking copious amounts of beer and wine as I was looking to get my 'instant gratification' from food instead of alcohol. 2 weeks ago I put a stop to the unhealthy heating as I knew that I was in another spiral of depression, lethargy and negatitivity despite the fact I hadn't touched alcohol for months.

I decided to detox completely for 8 weeks (now into week 3) and only eat whole unprocessed foods mainly consisting of fruit for breakfast, home made veg soup for lunch and tea and things like nuts for snacks. I figured that if I can handle sobriety for 6 months then I can do this diet for 2 months.

So far the results have absolutely amazed me even though it has only been just over 2 weeks. I've lost 4 kg, I'm not hungry all the time anymore, I don't feel tired, I'm sleeping better than ever and am so much more positive about everything. So many people on SR talk about the fact that you have to change so much more than just your drinking habits in sobriety and that is true. For those of you who are still struggling with sobriety after a number of months my advice would be to take a look at your diet because the last 2 weeks have been a revelation for me.

I wish you all the very best

Julynine
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Big time congrats JulyNine! Stop by and post in the July class sometimes-nice group there!

Interesting about the diet and your great results. I suppose I've got to tackle that next *sigh*. You're right, if we can stop drinking it does feel like we can stop other bad habits as well.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your six months sober and your new diet.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Julynine-useful info on diet/food too,thank you
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting. Congratulations for 6 months of sanity. I have been reading Under The Influence and the first half of the book emphasizes the physical side of alcoholism. It repeatedly stresses nutrition as treatment for recovery.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a month behind you and kind of feel the same way. I feel a little sad sometimes, but the biggest thing is feeling lethargic. I sleep until noon and could stare at a wall all day doing nothing, kind of sucks, I'll try eating better. So far I've cut out sugar and will probably cut out caffeine as well, at least for a while.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done you!!
6 months. Half a year.

Awesome ....xx
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well done july,,, you rock,,
cant wait till i can say 6 months too,,,, only 3.5 to go xxxxxx
big hugs to you ,, well done and keep it p xxxxxx
lv cleo xxxxxxx
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on six months and your new healthy diet. Sounds like you are kicking off 2013 the right way!!!