Notices

i'm back

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm back

hey...i've been away for a while. i become other focused lately and while i've maintained my sobriety, i feel like i've relapsed in my mind. i just don't feel right. i need to get back here and i need to get back to what was working for me. i've missed this place. i feel like i'm in a very dangerous place right now. it's hard for me to admit that i don't have my sh*t together. it's hard to admit that i really need this place. but if this is what i need to be right then that's fine. i'm good with that. i want to be her. i want to be back where i was when i was reading the forums daily and posting daily. i was happier back then. i miss y'all. i miss y'all a lot. i've been stuffing my problems and putting on a brave face when i should have been coming here and sharing what's been going on. i tried to quit smoking Jan 1 and i made it to Jan 3. that's when my car got towed. i found that out when i was about to head out to my psych appointment. instead of coming here and venting i walked to the corner gas station and bought a pack of cigarettes. now i'm hiding my smoking just like i used to hide my drinking. i hate it. i want to be done with it. i just have to throw it out. i have to throw it out and it's not easy but it's never easy. gotta be uncomfortable. hope y'all don't mind me venting here from time to time. i want to come back. i need to come back. SR makes me a better person. i'm back. :ghug3
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!! I always enjoy seeing you on here. SR keeps me motivated as well, I just realized I haven't Ben on for a full 24 hours(just after midnight here). It was a busy day, think this is the longest I have gone without checking in.

Let us know how quitting smoking goes.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to see you again DG.
Hopefully we can help you feel a little more settled

D
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DG - Hello, I've only been posting here for a few months but I really relate to your post. I am coming up on 60 days and already I find the immediate misery and desperation wearing off to reveal a sense of stubborn independence and reluctance to admit when I'm not right in the head. Basically, it's easy for me to ask for and accept help or be part of a recovery community when I'm in the initial sobering up period but as soon as life starts to show up again I kind of drift off. I do it everytime, in fact, and that's why I've never been sober for a solid year. I've had many times where I put 6-9 months together and I'm proud of that because it's progress for an alcoholic and addict like me, but that little voice that tells me I'm fine; I can do it on my own, I don't need meetings or forums or therapy or even friends.... That voice is hard to ignore at times. Perhaps its in our nature to be this way? I don't know. All I know is that the TRUTH is we need each other whether we like it or not. We need support and to have the opportunity to help others too. It's what being clean is all about - restoring our connection to the universe, to spiritual matters, to each other and to ourselves. When I am alone I am vunerable to attack from my own mind. I'm not insane but I am an addict and even in recovery I can't forget it. At least this is my experience.

Congrats on almost having a year, btw! Stay around and thanks again for your post. I look forward to hearing from you more often.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, DG! I've certainly missed seeing you around-good to have you back, whatever your circumstances

Xx
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Good to see you back DG.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I've missed reading your posts. Hopefully you will start to feel more settled soon xx
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome back DG! I've only been here a couple of months, too, but find it vital!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
All I know is that the TRUTH is we need each other whether we like it or not. We need support and to have the opportunity to help others too. It's what being clean is all about - restoring our connection to the universe, to spiritual matters, to each other and to ourselves.
I agree. I think that is our human nature and when we lose it we become vulnerable to addiction.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! :ghug3
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back DG! I have missed you.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you're back.SR is vital to my well being.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey DG. You were one of the first people I read when I came here back in October. I liked your handle. I am from Alabama and the grits are awful here in yankee land! I am still sober. I will have 3 months come Jan.14. I feel 1000 % better than I did but I am going through some kind identity crisis. Sober thinking has lead me to ask some serious questions about Why I am the way I am. I am so excited to see you posting again. I wondered what happened to you. I need to stop smoking too. I bought one of those electric cigs. It's called Blu. It kind of works but I still smoke the real deal.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I found some great nicotine relapse prevention Here
Nicotine/smoking Relapse Prevention, by Joel Spitzer

It really helps me stay off the smokes.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome back DG-you were missed. Just seeing your avi puts a smile on my face Glad you'll be posting again, I always enjoyed and learned from your posts.

It's not easy is it?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

hey guys. i got up and got dinner in the slow cooker this morning. corned beef, turnips and cabbage. it's nice because it cooks itself and makes the house smell so lovely! the smokes are driving me mad. i want one so much right now. i'm sitting on my hands. just riding out the craving and being as uncomfortable as i need to be right now. but what really matters is that i'm back here and i'm not outside and being sneaky. it feels a lot better. hope everyone's doing well today. i'm sure looking forward to a lovely dinner tonight! cooking a nice meal always boosts my self esteem.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back grits
Be gentle with yourself about the quitting smoking thing. It will happen when you are ready.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back I love SR to keep me balanced and on track
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Really glad you're back DG I've missed your posts.

I was a secret smoker for a long time, hiding it from various people (along with my secret drinking too of course). It was horrible, I felt so awful but I couldn't stop. People who knew what I was doing (just with the smoking mind you) reacted like it was the most evil thing ever. If they only knew the rest of it!

My advice would be to tell whoever you're hiding it from. In a way when I stopped drinking and told my family it was a relief because I didn't have to hide anything anymore. I didn't want people thinking I found quitting easy either. Maybe telling on yourself would lead you to getting more help rather than just being reprimanded.

Look into the Allen Carr books on smoking (it's like AA for smokers, in a book ) or something like champix or Ecigs or nicotine replacement (that's what I used in my secret smoking years!). Get yourself the support you need and don't let yourself get caught in that guilt trap.

*Hugs* and enjoy your dinner x
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DisplacedGRITS;3755898]hey...i've been away for a while. . i want to come back. i need to come back. SR makes me a better person. i'm back. :ghug3[/QUOTE

Edited by TrixMixer for space

.....and it looks like a lot of people are happy to have you back. I am fairly new here but just your AVI makes me feel I know you! I am a Crazy Cat Lady too!

About the cigs--My addiction counselor told me not to even THINK about quiting smokes (3 pack a day habit)until I had a year or two of sobriety. So go easy on yourself, you accomplished a great deal with your sobriety and should be very proud of that. The smokes will come--I was on antidepressants by the time I gave up smokes 2 years after sobriety. I think it helped. Just a thought!

Apparently you have a lot of good friends here so Welcome back to the fold! Welcome Home!