New (need to Vent)

Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New (need to Vent)

I am new to this ACA and was recomended that I take a look at those issues by my girlfriend She is in Alanon and has over a year clean. She has been nothing but supportive however we get into a tiff or something and I go right to the break-up mode. I have said it one to many times. For the past 8 months she has been putting up with my relapsing in and out of recovery. Have not been the most stable person. This is how I came to ACA...... I feel my relapsing could be caused by my ACA issues which I never have looked at. I am not new to recovery but new to ACA. I had over 8 yrs at one point and relapsed..... I have been struggling ever since...... There is a 13 question questionair and I hit them all. Just need to vent full of emotions.....

Hman
Old 04-20-2004, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Re: New (need to Vent)

Welcome,

My experience has been this...a character defect is a character defect. I have plenty of them and I work on them sometimes more than others. Regardless of where they come from I still have a responsibility to address them if I want to be happy. I had CD work long before I ever began looking at what the source might be. I come from an alcoholic home but I also have an alcoholic son who blames me for everything...that puts me permanently on the fence.

Anyway I started by writing a life story...I have also written out the high points of what I remember, good and bad. How they made me feel. I have let things surface spontaneously but if I wanted to move quicker I would probably use a counselor.

That list is pretty eye opening...it makes me feel like a puppet who has never fully taken control of my own life. Yuck!!

Hugs,
JT
Old 04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Re: New (need to Vent)

Hi Hman,

I've been reading some of your posts and I just wanted to tell you that I totally identify!!! I am new to recovery (107 days sober) and am new to this section of the website. I am doing well with my recovery but am realizing how totally crippled I am emotionally with my ACOA issues--they're like a huge cloud looming over me and everything I do!!! I can totally relate to your jumping right to "breakup mode", I am so like that with everything. I am currently suffering because I have lots of skills and a degree, and am trying so hard to break into a "real job" in my field instead of just wasting my time doing sales forever. Opportunities keep coming to me, and for some reason, if challenges arise within the opportunities I am sooooooooo quick to just scrap the whole thing, come up with reasons to trash the whole opportunity, without realizing that I can work with the challenges and patiently move forward with the opportunity--that it came my way for a reason, and that even if the results are not as I had originally intended, the whole experience can be a positive one. My sponsor pointed out this pattern of mine and it is totally an ACOA thing. I have been handling issues this way for a long time, and I'm so sick of it, but it's really hard to un-learn it!!! Anyway I can totally relate, and I'm really grateful for your posts and for this whole forum because it tells us we aren't alone.
Nicole