Notices

Humility

Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MMN

Humility

After almost 6 months of sobriety everything unravelled for me around Christmas. It started as it always does with the old lie that I could just have a couple of drinks to "join in the fun". Within 2 weeks I was back to my old daily drinking routine. I feel so disappointed in myself. So I'm back on SR with more humility than I left with and looking for guidance and support again. Thank you all for being here to listen.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it serves as a lesson to help you next time you're faced with a similar choice, then there is some positive to take from the experience.

Hope it goes better this time. All the best
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MMN View Post
After almost 6 months of sobriety everything unravelled for me around Christmas. It started as it always does with the old lie that I could just have a couple of drinks to "join in the fun". Within 2 weeks I was back to my old daily drinking routine. I feel so disappointed in myself. So I'm back on SR with more humility than I left with and looking for guidance and support again. Thank you all for being here to listen.
Humility is the way to combat the "beast" voice within which tries to convince you that you're O.K., that you're in "control", that you can take care of yourself and that no one is going to show you how to remain sober. That voice is in your brain but it's not "you" or at least it need not be "you". You can make a decision and a plan to silence it. What it wants to do is to persuade your conscious mind to restore the alcohol to your system. It's like a baby that got used to a special formula and now wants it back. Don't fall for it! If you listen to the baby and say, "O.K. Just this once!" then you're bound to lose control and get back on the slippery slope.

W.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was doing well for a few months and kind of lost my grip, too. Took me a couple more months to get to where the need for quitting was again staring me in the face. Well, at least I can say I can recognize a life-threatening problem when it comes right up and bites me on the nose, if nothing else.. just need the feeling of that bite on the nose for it to hit home, because otherwise I'm a little thick-headed to see it.

In trying to undo literally years if not decades of behavior reinforcement and physical adaptation, there may be some steps back, in amongst the steps forward. Undesirable, but not unforeseen.

"My relapse . . . was merely a setback!"
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Besides not drinking, were you doing anything else to stay sober ? AA ? Support Groups ? Therapist ?

Look back at the 6 months as a great accomplishment. Now your plan needs tweaking to ensure a relapse doesn't happen again...
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back MMN. At least now you know for sure that you can never drink again. Wishing you the very best in your recovery!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Something that helped me when I was in your shoes was that I saved the text messages from a friend who told me I was lucky to be alive after a night of drinking.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi MMM. Glad you came back to talk about it. I did the same thing for many years - but I finally got it right. It's so hard to admit we can't touch it. There's no such thing as a few for us. You're back with a lesson learned - you can do this.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry you drank. I have nightmares about drinking again. I have a little over 2 months sober now. Please don't give up. It's over and you never have to feel like this again.

Your story is why I have'nt been around anyone drinking yet.

I don't know if I can handle being around people who make drinking look like fun.