Notices

Winter reality

Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Winter reality

I drank the heaviest in the winter.

No question.

Even when active in my addiction I was aware that in the winter, I upped my consumption.

I despise the winter...I hate it. It's cold, it's snowing, the roads are slick and I hate going outside. The freaking NHL is on strike, so I don't even have the distraction of hockey to watch.

I've often mused, why it was that not one of my ancestors had the courage to pick up and move down South!

The positive side is that although I loath this season, I'm sober and in two months, I'll be travelling down South for a holiday. That my friends, is what I call the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, we've a roast slow cooking, so supper will be delicious.

I had committed to going with some friends to watch the UFC at a local bar. The presence of booze fuelled patrons and draft beer being guzzled before my eyes is one negative thing, but another is I won't get much sleep tonight.

I'll be stuck in winter tomorrow, sleep deprived and cranky.

The point of my post is that I'm going to take the path of caution and respect my recovery. I'll be cancelling my plans to go out with friends, staying home and getting a good nights sleep.

I'm respecting my recovery. I like the sound of that.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what you are talking about. I am sober and getting snowed in this way.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Listen to what you think is right. Sounds like not going out is better safe than sorry. Wrap up in a blanket and put a movie on!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like the sound of what you shared.

Respecting your recovery. That definitely
sound nice. It's so much better than drunk.

It's kinda cold right now down here in
the south, which is ok, but we know Spring
will come in a few months. Till then, while
waking up each day sober, i'll appreciate and
enjoy all the gifts provided for us including
some cold weather.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The winter here is horrible. It's been raining solidly for weeks. Sometimes I leave for work when its dark and get back when its dark. Winter definitely takes a toll on my mood. I have lots of bad memories surrounding this time of year. But soon it will be spring and finally summer. Which is the best season of them all.

Natom.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I also hate winter. I have felt freezing cold all day and the heat is up too high, but I still feel a chill. I think it definitely affects my mood and I do not walk outside like I do almost daily in better weather. I feel lethargic and pathetic sometimes. I am thinking of getting one of those lights for indoors to see if it helps!

Enjoy your vacation when it finally gets here. As much as I have gone to some house parties, I do not think I could or would want to go to a bar where drinking is truly is the main event. I am imagining the smell. I think you made a very good choice and will feel much better tomorrow for the good night's rest.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's more than just the winter time temperature. The days are also short and frequently overcast. I need sunlight and a beach.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Living in SoCal I am spoiled with what I consider winter, but I do hate that it gets dark so darn early.

If it is still cold and snowy tomorrow you can cheer for my Redskins to beat the Cowboys!!!! My husband is bummed about hockey too, we have the hockey and baseball package through our cable company. The hockey package not doing any good right now.

Hope the snow stops.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I can totally relate to you, Xune - I hate winter. Almost four or five months of hell frozen. And, of course, wish to "warm yourself up" doubles or triples, or whatever. But, it's a matter of habit after all, hot tea works quite well for me now)

Best wishes to all. Stay warm and sober!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also hate winter (it's Sunmer here now thank God).... This last winter was the worst of my life and I am dreading next year....scared it will bring back all those feelings.

Respecting your recovery sounds awesome.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in the UK and winter here is miserable. I dread it and really struggle with depression around this time of year. This year I have invested in a SAD light, I am using it each day.
I hope that this year will be easier than others.
Respecting our recovery.....yes, that is certainly food for thought
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK too and its very gloomy,dark,rain etc

Love your posts btw Xune
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, we got a sh**load of snow here last night. It's beautiful until you have to go out in it. Trying to be positive about it because I too hate winter. But hate it or not, it comes every year.
Got a call yesterday from a friend whose husband is going into rehab in the next couple of days (if he can find a place). I thought he must be going nuts being stuck in the house, knowing he's going to rehab (doesn't really want to go), and unable to drink. Brought back memories of last year when I lost it during a snowstorm. After a long, crazy day, I ended up in the loony bin. So when I say this weather makes me crazy, I mean it. Ha! I can laugh now.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My gal sits in front of a blue-wave spectrum light everyday, she says it makes a noticeable difference in avoiding her own winter blues. Her insurer actually paid for it, lock stock and barrel, but they're probably from $35-$100, depending on model.

We are just south of the Canada, so it can be pretty grim here in winter. When I came in last night it was 6 F and dropping.