New and overwhelmed

Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and overwhelmed

Hi everyone... I found the site a few days ago, the day my husband asked me to drive him to a detox centre 2.5 hours away... I of course knew he was an alcoholic but it was something we didn't talk much about... It just caused arguments, and we're busy, I have 2 kids from a previous relationship, it's Christmas, we work... but he hit his bottom on Dec. 18 and came to me out of nowhere - take me to detox. So now i find myself on this roller coaster that I never expected to find myself on and really don't know where or how to start recovering with him. Have been lurking in the forums for a few days and have been comforted and helped by many of your stories... feeling like maybe finding this site is like being handed a flashlight in a big dark room. Anyway.. our area only has AA and alanon once a week, and this week it's Christmas Eve so we have to wait a week to make a meeting but I just wanted to make some contact with people that understand.... thanks for being out here....
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hockeymama and a warm welcome to SR. You're not alone and will find this site a brilliant source of comfort and advice.

I wish you well.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hockeymama you are so welcome....By all means ..... AA for your husband...Al Anon for you.Come here as often as you can....We are all different....Im an Recovering Alcoholic/Tranqualiser Addict....Im free of Both now 27 years...I slipped and Slided at first but I eventually threw in the Towel...I attend AA....and I also Started an ACA Meeting a couple of years ago...There is Loads of Help out there if you Want it.Good Luck to you . ...And A very Happy Christmas to you Both,.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kudos to your husband for recognizing he has an issue and taking the brave step to get help. My AB is currently in treatment, so I understand the emotions of being out here on your own with all the responsibilities and trying to figure out where do we go from here. Self care is paramount right now....take care of you. Take this week to read, reflect, enjoy Christmas with your children, then next week plan to try AlAnon.
We are all here to support you.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you looked for us, glad you found us. The membership dues are astromically high but the club members are pretty cool!

So welcome and congratulations! He asked for rehab and that is enormous, step one to recovery is his realization that he needs help. Try to find an alanon group for you while he's getting treatment. You might like an Aa meeting as well just to see whatits about. Look for an 'open' meeting - the others are just for alcoholics.

You may be feeling a flood of emotions - fear, relief, anxiety, "holy crap this is really happening"....anger, why me?... That is all very normal.

I said congratulations - that might sound odd but recovery starts with the alcoholics realization that they need help, you can't force it and nothing changes until something changes... This is a huge positive step. My wife began recovery 363 days ago... I understand some of what you are going through. Keep coming here, read a ton and get some rest. He's safe and you can rest a bit