Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Drug substitutes most used by alcoholics?-no drink deteced recently

Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I haven't detected the smell of alcohol on an alcoholic and then some since a dui. His moods are still the same including very short fuse. It's scary how long he 'seems' to have gone without but his bo smells with the effects of alcohol(alcohol apparently makes alot his soaps,colonges etc really stink more than usual). He knows there will be consequences and has an even shorter fuse when talking about ANYTHING related to a dui or his drinking. Says he can't stay motivated in a depressed way. Looks like crap. Looked good the first week after only.

Withdrawl? substitute? sneaking it?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Could be anything. My ex either was drunk or smoking crack. At the end he would get plastered, then disappear and do crack. When he couldn't do his DOC, he would pop pills.
All he has ever done is switch addictions.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If he received a medical detox he could of found out that those detox pills give him the same sort of "buzz" as alcohol. The immediate withdrawal last 2-5 days but there is an extended period of withdrawal. Sometimes it takes up to 2yrs to fully reverse all the damage done from alcohol. Alcohol messes up a persons central nervous system to a great degree.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Medications are a substitute for alcohol. In my experience and he could get them anywjere.
Just have to know someone. But it could be dry drunk .
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not real sure but I think you are kind of thinking he is still doing/replacing the drinking w/something? What I found was the behavior rarely changed much or at least the thinking and usually he was sneaking around drinking. Eventually, I'd find bottles hiding here and there! Many times the Doctor would give my XABF Zanax for anxiety when he'd quiet drinking then he'd start drinking and be taking that along w/it....OMG! Horrible!But try to remind yourself it this is the case then it's not something you can do anything about!