Notices

Day 9....ahhhh

Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AA Member

Day 9....ahhhh

Hi, ya'll...

It is a beautiful morning here in Mississippi. Just thinking this morning about the contrast in how I feel today versus a week ago. Seven days ago I felt like I was jittery and felt like I was about to lose my mind...and very physically sick. I was in such bad shape and was wondering if I would be able to emerge from that dark place. Had cravings a couple of days this week, and when I experienced them, I did whatever I could do to get out of it, staying really busy, reaching out to a friend who needed me, calling my sponsor, reading my AA literature...and so forth. In short, I am following the suggestions made to me in the AA program. In a way, I am grateful for the misery I have felt in the early days of recovery; I don't want to ever forget where this disease takes me every time I indulge it.

With each day that passes, I feel I am regaining my life. The sobriety statistics in AA frequently come under fire, but I was reminded of something yesterday in a meeting that I need to remember. The Program "works if you work it." My relapse came about as the result of a breakdown in my "working it."

As for today, I will do the only things I have been taught to do: Go to a meeting, meditate and pray, talk with my sponsor and likely another recovering alcoholic, read my Big Book, participate in SR. This approach has worked for me before, but I am reminded there is no room for complacency and letting up on my program.

On this beautiful Saturday, I have hope...but it's all up to me. I can either utilize the tools for recovery that have been laid at my feet...or die an alcoholic death. Today, the choice is clear. Thank God!

I wish a good, sober day for all of you today.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Kitkat, Day 9....ahhhh. You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations an Merry Christmas.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

Big mistake...

Oops, ya'll. I meant to say in my post that my relapse came about as the result of my NOT working the program. Big, big difference.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The relapse rate is high no matter the program. Seeking help, as you are doing in AA does provide a measurable benefit.

All that to say, remain ever vigilant.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nine days! You are starting to feel the benefits from sobriety. It is great. Congratulations.