Notices

Early On

Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Early On

So I am a 31 year old women drinking since the age of 20 at least three quarters of a large bottle of wine every night without fail. I finally decided to enough was enough when on Monday-yes this past Monday, I went to work with one of the worst hangovers. I am only 2 days sober now and am wondering if the feeling of boredom, fogginess and just an over all feeling of BLAH goes away after a while? I am anxious about how to fill my time in order to avoid the boredom only to find that I am too tired to do anything and simply don't have the motivation.

Also, has anyone tried the Power to Quit program?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and I encourage you to browse around / read the stickies found on the front page of each section.

A lot of your questions will be answered if you poke around a bit.

You've made a great first step in stopping drinking and coming to this forum!

Do you have a recovery plan in place and any supports to help you through this important step in your life?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome byebyealcohol. you've come to the right spot. much support here. i was exactly where you are 12 wks ago. couldn't imagine what i was going to do with myself every evening if i wasnt drinking. first week i did nothing but sleep and eat. the tiredness goes away in time. the fogginess too. main thing is dont drink. take it one day at a time. maybe go to a meeting if you feel like it. after a while, you dont think about drinking eveyday and it is liberating. a freedom you cant imagine. good luck and post here often
Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DFU

I'm a 41 year old woman and have been drinking since my teens. I remember when I thought drinking 1/2 bottle of wine a night was terrible. Well, I was up to at least 1 1/2 bottles when I decided to quit. It's only been one week but we've all got to start somewhere. I started AA 5 days ago and have been to 3 meetings. It was really hard, but so enlightening when I realized I was not alone... you aren't either.

I'm also using this as an opportunity to loose the 25+ pounds I've gained from drinking and to get healthier and more clear minded.
Good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR

have not heard of that program.

Here is a link to some recovery resources.

Also keep reading and posting here. SR saved my botty, so it can do the same for you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I wish you luck. Believe me you are not alone. Come join the Class of December thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR byebyealcohol

D
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome byebyealcohol!

Good for you for getting sober - it really does get better! I was tired and unmotivated at first too. I think a lot of that is physical.... it takes time for our brains/bodies to adjust. It's normal to go through a period of boredom, too.

Be patient with yourself and keep it simple. Better days are ahead!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family byebye. I had those same feelings of blah & fogginess - and they definitely did go away finally. It takes time to heal from all that we've done to harm ourselves.

It's great that you're facing this at only 31. I went on for 2 more decades. You can imagine the damage that was done, the danger I put myself in. This will not happen to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i've drank for over 30yrs and so sympathize with your symptoms. i'm always so tired esp after work. sometimes i do just sleep alot... and veg out a lot watching tv or the computer. i figure it doesn't matter, at least i'm not drinking. i do worry about not having any get up and go but i have my moments and i just take them when they come and feel eventually they will come around more often. i'm definitely getting more done than i was being drunk all the time.
figure out things to do to relieve boredom when you are awake .... so you don't get back into thinking how nice it would be to have just "one" glass of wine. i've gotten back into reading which i still enjoy just as much as i used to.
best wishes to you and welcome to the board!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome

these symptoms are quite normal. they will definitely get a lot better.

... but you should also try to remain active when you can. start going for walks, begin some sort of exercise routine. (at least find a physical activity you can do around the house... like cleaning)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OMG! This family IS so supportive! Thanks to everyone for the replies, they put a smile on my dull face today. GREAT news though! I picked up a prescription and the liquor store that I normally frequented right across the street seemed like it literally called my name (not to mention, pretty stressful day) and I DIDN'T GIVE IN! I think I can really do this. I do have a support called Power to Quit. Its an online totally free step by step healing of body and mind. Something like breaking the chains-literally of alcohol.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go for not giving in to that urge! You'll get a little stronger each time you get through a situation like that and one day you'll pass right by the liquor store and realize you hadn't thought about it at all.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Serious, thanks for the advice. I actually (somehow) managed to work out every morning for 30-40 minutes 4-5/per week while drinking. I still maintain that exercise. I find that every day my pride gets higher and level of committment does as well. Just waiting for that physical part to kick in. I'll be patient. I guess for the first time ever I can say I'm worth it!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Byebye

Don't worry too much about the 'blah' going away. As long as you are working on things to help you stay sober you will be fine. It's a big adjustment and it's only natural to feel exhausted. Give yourself time to recover x
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WELCOME! I'm 31, female, been drinking vodka daily since I was 20...be should be BFFs! Haha, anyway, it DOES get better. I'm 48 days sober and those first 7 days SUCKED but I was determined this time to stay on track. I've been fighting this drinking/trying to control it for the last 2.5 years and nothing has ever kept me sober so this time, I really dived into AA - I was never, ever one for meetings, getting a sponsor, the 12 steps. NEVER did I THINK I needed help. Well, I dived in because point blank - it has worked for MILLIONS of people. So, I've really found the program is rejuvinating me. Some meetings are better than others, but doing this daily for almost 2 months now has really proven helpful. Made some new acquainences who "get" me and it's great. That would be my only suggestion. Oh, that and perhaps talking to your doctor about a prescription for Naltrexone. It's a craving blocker and it has, along with the program and AA, helped me tremendously to keep my head on straight! Message me if you have any questions. Nice to see you on here! It does get better, trust me.