Notices

The dreaded inlaw visit

Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dreaded inlaw visit

My FIL and his wife are coming for the weekend today and I am dreading it. They micromanage everything and bring their Jack Daniels and just drive me nuts in general.

I will be saying the Serenity Prayer a lot this weekend.....
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The choice is yours but I have choosen to have an alcohol free house. This is my house and alcohol never passes the threshold. Bet you will see a lot less of the inlaws if Jack is not allowed in the house
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree - your house, your rules.

We never serve alcohol here and never keep any in the house. It helps to makes things a bit easier.

I hope the visit goes well.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try deep breathing too. I know its sounds simplistic but I find that at least half the time in stressful situations it works. Better than nothing.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is not even the alcohol that bothers me now. THEY bother me. I hope they have a few drinks and go to bed early.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Sounds like a good time to get all your shopping done lol Seriously, can you line up things you have to be doing that require leaving the house? Maybe they'll be passed out by the time you return? Is there some funny movie that would distract everyone? (Trading Places is always fun)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about the smell of whiskey. I want to hurl. I feel for you dear.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I think about hard liquor I start coughing and then gagging.

Unfortunately I can't leave while they are here. They take offense to you doing anything that does not involve them.

I just have to take deep breaths and get through it. They are leaving on Saturday.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hate when people come to stay that just rub you the wrong way. For me, if someone that annoyed me then started drinking that would just tip me over the edge.

I have family that gets offended if you leave while they are there or even go off and talk on the phone a little too long. My mom always says it helps her get through visits when she just makes funny little jokes to herself when the person says something totally rediculous or tells a story. My mom says it is better to chuckle in your head and try to make some fun of it then to sit there counting down the minutes til they leave.

I hope the weekend visit goes fast for you.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

Like Anna said...your house your rules. You call the shots. Having said that, I'm also dreading the visit from my side of the family. Thank God it's only a day visit. I adore my DH's family, so I'm all about THAT visit.

This is my second sober Christmas so things are on a more even keel. I wish you all the serenity in the world, Elisabeth.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The way I deal with "booze" around me is to slip until the moment the "drinkers" are slightly intoxicated.

Then you can sit back and enjoy the ride and remember I will not be the one feeling like crap the next day.

***I know, I have a Xmas party this weekend and will show a little later after everyone has had a couple.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My 'dragon' in law likes to criticise whilst sitting on her fat backside watching me run around after her. Luckily she is balanced out by her long suffering husband who is so lovely.
I used to smile sweetly and keep making visits to the kitchen to swig vodka....
These days I do a lot of praying and keep reminding myself I'm doing it for my H who realises she is difficult and is so appreciative.
Good luck to you...I know how hard it can be, but you are doing it for your partner. Marriage is give and take, and this is the giving part.
I've even stopped swearing under my breath. Well almost.....x
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I did used to get extra drunk when they were here to cope. I was about to say drunk, but then I remembered, duh, I am an alcoholic, I got drunk all the time.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How do you get out of visiting your in-laws?

For the past 5 summers, my boyfriend and I have taken his daughter and parents to Las Vegas to visit his grandparents. His grandparents are in their early 70s and still party like they are teenagers. I really do not want to go this summer. It is usually a house full of about 15 people, lots of children, lots of fighting and tons of drinking. It is usually not fun but the drinking makes it okay.

I don't want to spend money to be in an uncomfortable situation. We usually buy tickets early so that they are cheaper. My boyfriend does not understand how much anxiety I have been having over this and suggests that I 'just don't drink.' The alcohol, the arguing, the hangovers, it is just a mess of a vacation that we have subjected ourselves to every summer for at least 10 days at a time.

I will get so much crap from his family over not going. How do I do this? Go or not to go?