Notices

Blah Day ....

Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Blah Day ....

I feel really flat and emotionless the last couple of days. I'm hiding in my house and have skipped my womens meeting this morning because I couldn't sleep last night and couldn't wake up this morning after finally falling asleep at 3am. I just feel crappy. It's ok to feel crappy, I know it's just a feeling and it will pass, I'm not going to drink / use over it but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I feel stuck. My sponsor's mom is dying and I feel so bad for her, yet a little confused about what to do because I'm early in sobriety and she literally never picks up her phone. Even before her mom got sick I rarely spoke to her or saw her - she's a busy woman. So I'm not doing any work besides going to meetings and coming here. Maybe that's the problem? I don't know.

Anyone have advice? I'm just really... Well... Uncomfortable.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a blah day. I am still feeling under the weather and lazy. I am trying to convince myself to go for a walk.

Maybe getting out and going for a walk will help clear your head.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think blah days happen to us all Jane, alcoholic, addict or not.

Exercise usually helps me get out of a funk - it can be a simple as housework, a walk, a spin on my stationary bike...

as far as your sponsor goes, I'm not in AA but why not find someone else you admire to talk to from AA? They may be able to help you - and have advice for you on the sponsor issue.

D
Could be your current sponsor may appreciate the decreased workload too.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can you find another sponsor? It's always good to have more than one perspective on life. It sounds like your sponsor has a lot on.

That said I was smacked in the face by 48 hours of blahness a few days ago. I reckon it was hormonal. I hid mostly and vented here and let it wash over.

I'm quite a bubbly person so I tend to overreact when I feel flat.

I hope you feel sunnier soon.

S x
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice. I did force myself to get out a bit and it helped. I got lost driving in an area I usually kind of know.... Ah, early sobriety. Haha
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep blah sucks but as said non drinkers/normal (?!) people get them all the time - difference is they don't pick up a bottle like us

Busy yourself - exercise really works as gives you a oomph and feel good factor!!..

Stay super strong and best wishes!!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just think the low moods will only get better with continued sobriety, what a great feeling.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My story is still a little bit too raw and painful to share, but what happened to me is that with sobriety, slowly the blah days started to fall behind the good days and now there is more good than blah. The blahs still happen- and the super sad days, and this can't be happening days, and the it sure is warm for December days...but I promise, they are so much easier to handle sober- at least for me...hope it gets better!
: )
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey babyjane...I was where you are just a few days ago...feeling blah and just in a funk. I literally foced myself to stay on my recovery path. Here's what I do daily- I wake up, pray to my higher power to help keep me sober, read the meditation from the 25 hour book and reflect on it for a bit, think about how I can incorporate it into my day. I get to a meeting no matter how tired, sad or cranky I am. When I don't want to go I know I especially need to be there and I always feel better after---maybe not "great" but definitely better. I also call my sponser every day and if I am having a hard time at least 2 other women in recovery...keep leaving messages until someone calls you back. I have heard of others in your situation (sponser very busy). May be wise to ask her if you should find someone else who has more time for your needs rt now. You have to do what's best for you and there's really no hard feelings in my opinion. My blah feelings did pass and they will for you too. I am so glad I didn't drink over it
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

* 24 hour book ...we don't need any more hours in the day! LOL
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
It's ok to feel crappy, I know it's just a feeling and it will pass, I'm not going to drink / use over it but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
You are so right about this - it will pass. Of course, that doesn't necessarily hope while you are feeling it. Try to keep busy, distracted. I hope it passes soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

THANK YOU all for your replies. I got through it and I am going to make sure I stay in the rooms of AA no matter what because I'm not going to let the "blahs" slowly start leading me away from recovery. It's a habbit I get into sometimes - I stop participating and start slacking and then BAM! I have a really stressful day and picking up seems like a solution again. Today I have 21 days sober and I know what to do no matter how I feel.

Luv you guys!