Notices

What's it like to be an alcoholic?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb What's it like to be an alcoholic?

-- What's it like to be an alcoholic?

An alcoholic?.... hmmmm.... Did ya know if ya put a frog in luke warm water and turn up the heat to a boil?..... That frog will sit there and die!

Like that. Being an alcoholic is like that.

-- really?

I don't know! It's a tough question to answer. It's just something ya are.

-- if it just is, then how do you know when you're one?

Well.... I don't drink that much really. Some drunks drink way more than I do. I just get lonely and like to go to the bar for company. A few times a week maybe.

Yeah sometimes I get outta hand. I can put back a whole 750ml bottle of vodka and still have a conversation. I've been told I never look drunk!

-- So then there's a chance you're not an alcoholic?

Well.... No. There's no chance I am not an alcoholic.

-- but?

There's NO buts! I just am. I accept that. I know that. Stop asking questions you don't want the answers to!

-- but I wanna know. I wanna know what's wrong with you?

What's wrong with me??? Hell.... There's nothing "wrong" with me. Just when I start drinking I don't stop. I wanna stop but I don't. That's all.

So I don't drink any more. Hurt to many people drinking. Myself included. Did things I wish had never happened. Said things that hurt. Lots of things. To many things.

Got in a mess a trouble with the law. I still get nervous when I see a cop.

-- will they come take you away?

No...no. They won't. If I drink they probably will. Keep me to dry Out. Spin dry me I used to call it. Ha ha ha.

-- are you gonna die an alcoholic?

Die? That's a hell of a question!

Die? I won't die soon but yeah.... Yeah I will die an alcoholic. Will I die from being an alcoholic?

No.

No I won't let that happen. See since I know I am an alcoholic I can do something about it. I can get help. I can help myself.

-- How did you become an alcoholic anyway?

I stopped asking how I got here. I started asking the where do I go from here? That's a better question to be asking. I work damn hard everyday.

I tell myself the truth daily. That's the key for me. I share with others about what's made me an alcoholic. About what my truth is.

Truth's different for everyone.

If the truth ever really does set you free..... Well?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it sucks, it's like not knowing if you slept last night, where you were, or what happened, driving over curbs, endangering everyone around you, throwing up and then, doing it again