Notices

Binge drinker

Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinker

I have been a binge drinker on weekends for as long as I can remember (over ten years at least). Black outs are very common for me and I always jokingly called them "time travel". But now I'm beginning to really worry about my health. I have dealt with depression for the past year and am on medication for it. So I am not even supposed to be drinking in the first place. Over the weekend I binge drank and began vomiting blood. I am beginning to worry this is more serious than just having fun with my friends. I'm feeling very confused and not sure where to go from here.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lilly.

I really think you should see a Dr as soon as possible. Vomiting blood is something you should really get checked out.

I was a binge drinker. I know how it feels to be where you are. I was also very depressed and taking medication. The good news is that 8 months later I am sober, content with life and healthier than I've been in a long time - both physically and mentally.

I would say from here you should see a doctor first and foremost, and then perhaps consider a plan to follow with regards to your drinking. Moderation was impossible for me (being a binge drinker yourself also makes me think it would be difficult for you, too) so it may be a good idea to think about quitting entirely.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi lilly and welcome to SR.

The vomiting of blood sounds very serious and you need to seek advice from your physician. I was a daily drinker although the last week I was on a week long bender up until last Friday. Enough was enough and had to quit for good.

I really hope you get in to see your doc, this is nothing to mess with.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am always amazed at the lies we tell ourselves. Vomiting blood and black out drinking for 10 years. No problem there I can see. Heck everybody I know does this. Alcohol is a depressant and I am depressed wonder if there is any connection?

Get medical help get addiction help. NOW!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lilly - you definitely should see a doctor. I've been a binge drinker for about 15-20 years - pretty bad sometimes. I have never vomited blood. You need to check with a doc and be prepared to be honest about your drinking because a Doc will need to know everything to treat you right. Good luck - please take care of yourself
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone you're so kind.

I did see a doctor yesterday and they did some tests to make sure I was ok. Said I should stop drinking alcohol and caffeine for awhile. I'm starting to realize what a wake up call this is, though. Its pretty scary to give up a drinking, but maybe that is another sign that I am really an alcoholic and I've been in denial. I'm just tired of being sick all weekend all the time. ALso, yes, that possibly very true that the drinking also is causing some of my depression.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you saw a doctor. Get whatever support you need to feel better and stop drinking . I too get depressed and I drank to get rid of the depression but it indeed just makes me more depressed and does nothing to solve the intial feelings. It's a rotten cycle that we need to break. Stopping drinking may not be the answer to every issue or sadness but it sure is a step in the right direction
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello,I am a fellow binge/blackout drinker.
I was on anti depressants in my 20's.
I told my Dr. I had social anxiety dissorder,probably because I was stonned,hung over all the time.
I know that being clean and sober is what works for me and I do not need anti-depressants at all.
I dont know if thats the case with you but I have heard lots of people say they no longer need all types of medications once they get clean and sober.

Also go see your Dr. and try to be fully honest with him/her.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lilly

I'm glad you saw a Dr.

If you told them all your story tho...and they said maybe you should 'stop for while'...I'm not a Dr by any means but I'm not sure that's great advice.

perhaps it might be a good idea to look for a Dr who's better acquainted with addiction.

You'll find a lot of support here and a lot of ideas on where to go next too

Look for our Class of December thread in this forum - lot of people quitting this month there

D
Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks I will for sure look at the December class thread. I guess there is no time to start like the present, but the thought of never drinking again for the rest of my life is scary.

It was the emergency room doctor and no he didn't seem very concerned about addiction. It was quite embarrassing he kept asking me what hard drugs I did and didn't seem to believe me when I said none.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I'm a big blackout drinker as well. When I was single and going out to the bars and parties, they would be horrible. Huge periods of time that I had no recollection of, and by all accounts usually ended up making a huge ass of myself.

On a lighter note, what did Robin Williams say about alcoholic blackouts? Something like they were a witness relocation program for our conscience.

Anyways, glad you saw a doctor. From the little I know about medicine, when someone with a history of alcohol abuse starts vomiting blood it can be very serious. Take care of yourself.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi lilly

I was a binge drinker too and the thought of never drinking again terrified me when I first decided to quit, I've been sober nearly 4 months and it probably took about 2-3months for those feelings of fear to subside. When you can reflect on a good chunk of sober time and all that drinking time, there is just no comparison.

You can still have fun with your friends, you just don't end up blacked out waking up the next day regretting everything from the night before.

Look after yourself.
x
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lilly,

I was a binge weekend drinker also, and I have been on SSRI's for over four years. Most of the time I was on them I was binge drinking. When I was drinking I used to love how drunk I'd get on not a lot of alcohol because of my meds! So sad haha.

Anyway, it's been almost 50 days since I had a drink. Yes, the fear is your alcoholism and the stages of grief are real. I went through a lot of emotional **** while quitting. But it's so, so much better and worth it when you're not drinking. Hang in there You are stronger than you think.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

the thought of never drinking again for the rest of my life is scary.
it is...but you're not alone here, and I found that makes a big difference.

I just took it a day at a time at the beginning...making a vow not to drink today no matter what seemed a lot more achievable to me back then....the trixk is to back up the vow again the next day, and the next...

pretty soon forever seemed less scary - cos I was already doing it

D
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for support. I think I may go to a meeting sometime this week. My friends are already making excuses for me saying I just didn't eat enough and thats how I landed in the hospital. But I'm thinking this is more serious than just not eating enough and I'm trying to look at it like a wake-up call.